o2 Broadband Security

Border View 00:01 09 Oct 2008

I recently migrated to O2. The Speedtouch 585v7 wiresless router in Local Network Devices shows three items:

The Router
MyLaptop
Name - Unknown 00-03-fa-a9-d7-4a IP Address 94-192-104-1 Interface Unknown

Can anyone please tell me what this third device is. Is it a security issue. Get the feeling that this new router isnt as secure as my old 585v6.

spuds 10:20 09 Oct 2008

I have dealt with Thomson/Alcetal SpeedTouch customer support and services, and found them very good. Perhaps sending an email might resolve the problem. Failing that, try 02 and their website or customer support (which I believe is a freephone number!).

The 'Unknown' appears to be a server address. Does 02 or the router set-up procedure have the 94-192-104 in the configuration process?.

jellyhead 19:04 09 Oct 2008

Does this help explain
click here

CurlyWhirly 18:46 11 Oct 2008

I couldn't get my old SpeedTouch 585v6 router to work with O2 despite reading the instructions click here

I couldn't change the VCI value (and a few other configuration parameters as well) so I gave up and now use the O2 wireless router II instead!

Border View 16:18 19 Oct 2008

Thanks for that Curly - just back from the Caravan.

Not happy about security - think I shall phone o2 on Monday to reconfigure the settings on my o2 box. Only want it to recognise my laptop, not happy about this third party on the local area network and want more than WEP.

Will let you know how I get on.

Kind regards

CurlyWhirly 22:40 19 Oct 2008

You don't need to wait until monday to ring them as I think that their helpline is open 24/7 and it's free?

You can use their online chat facility if you want to.

Just have the O2 Broadband Assistant running on the taskbar and select 'Help' then 'Chat Online' (See below):

click here

p.s. I hope you are enjoying your new ADSL2+ connection as much as I am not to mention the savings ;)

Border View 10:04 20 Oct 2008

Hi Curly - enjoying the savings and faster speeds.

Telephoned o2 help this morning spoke to a very nice gentleman. He showed me how to delete that third device. He seemed to think it was another name for my laptop.

When I asked him about changing from WEP to WPA he said I would need to connect my laptop to the box via the ethernet cable. He assured me that WEP was more than adequate security. Dont think he has been in the same forum as me which says that WEP is next to useless.

With regard to permitting Allow new stations automatically he said that neighbours would not be able to log into my connection.

So, Curly, do you have WPA or WEP? Do you allow new stations automatically?

If not how did you change your settings without getting cut off completely. (This has happened three times and I have to reset the router every time)

I always thought that you should have WPA, dont broadbast your SSID and restrict only my laptop to connect.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Border View 10:09 20 Oct 2008

PS I might have deleted that third device but its back.

CurlyWhirly 12:20 20 Oct 2008

I don't use wireless and never have so I can't help you, sorry.

I have had trouble setting it up in the past and I prefer to use a cat5 ethernet cable which can be picked up for a few quid.

p.s, yes your right, I have also read that WPA is more secure than WEP

click here

QUOTE:
"Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) is a deprecated algorithm to secure IEEE 802.11 wireless networks. When introduced in 1999, WEP was intended to provide confidentiality comparable to that of a traditional wired network.

Beginning in 2001, several serious weaknesses were identified by cryptanalysts with the result that today a WEP connection can be cracked with readily available software within minutes."

jellyhead 17:50 21 Oct 2008

Barman
You can download the TG585-v7_SetupUserGuide from hear if its of any help.
click here

Border View 19:58 21 Oct 2008

Thanks jellyhead

Barmoor

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?