Nvu help, please

Graham ® 10:06 31 Jan 2005

My first attempt with Nvu and I'm stuck already.

click here

I wish to paste text, starting to the right of the picture and continuing underneath (wrap?).

Graham ® 10:07 31 Jan 2005

Click bottom right to enlarge.

PurplePenny 13:00 31 Jan 2005

Right click the image. Select "Image properties" then the "Appearance" tab.

From the dropdown next to "Align Text to Image" select "Wrap to right" if you want the text on the right of the image.

PurplePenny 13:07 31 Jan 2005

Use the same dialogue box to make the image into a link (e.g. to a bigger version of the photo). Click the "link" tab.

Once you are familiar with what you are doing you can adjust all the properties at once using the "Advanced Edit" button in the lower half of the box.

Graham ® 14:21 31 Jan 2005

Thanks, as you can see I've started over.

Until I saw your reply, I've found if I put the text in first, when I insert an image I get the dialogue box to work on.

When I get a reasonable page and saved it, when I publish, will this replace my Plusnet wizard pages?

Graham ® 14:49 31 Jan 2005

I can't get all the fonts and sizes the same :-(

I select all, but some won't change, even if I select them individually.

PurplePenny 20:04 31 Jan 2005

If you upload a page with the same name as one that is already there it will indeed replace it (but CuteFTP will ask whether you want to overwrite the existing file so you will know that you are doing it).

Did you keep a copy of the original pages? If not just download them again but save them to a different folder, then you will always have a copy if you want to revert back to the original.

What is probably happening is that the font size is being specified inline for those particular words and it is overruling the font size that you are putting in for the whole paragraph.

If you click the HTML tab at the bottom of the screen you can edit the code to get rid of the tags that are making the font a different size.
Find the word(s) that is the wrong size. If it is text that you pasted from the PlusNet wizard page the word(s) will be surrounded by something like this: <font color="#0000FF" size="6" face="Times New Roman">your text...</font>. If the text is some that you have written in Nvu you will be looking for either <big>your text</big> or <small>your text</small> tags around the text.

Which ever is the case if you want the text to be the same size as the rest of the paragraph just delete the pairs of tags.

Keep going - you'll get the hang of it soon. If you think that it might help I'll gladly create a page to get you started. On the other hand I'm equally happy to carry on helping (as best I can!) on here.

Graham ® 20:16 31 Jan 2005

I've started afresh with Nvu. The strange thing is the text is being copied from one file. I will look at the HTML.

Graham ® 20:44 31 Jan 2005

Now got a reasonable page, but it won't publish. I get error 550 on one of the jpegs.

I've deleted the previous index file, and used the Plusnet wizard to delete the 2 pages, but it still comes up with the URL.

I've logged on to click here, when I try to delete the htdocs file i get 'permission denied'.

Good this, innit?

PurplePenny 20:57 31 Jan 2005

You don't want to delete the htdocs file. That is where all your files should go.

What is error 550?

Your index page has gone; I've just been to your site to check. It is probably cached in your browser, refresh the page.

Did you just click on the publish button in Nvu to upload the page?

PurplePenny 21:03 31 Jan 2005

publishing a page. It hasn't appeared yet so maybe it just takes a while for the changes to show up on PlusNet (that situation has cropped up on here with other hosts).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

Best Photo Editing Apps for iPad

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Comment regarder le combat entre McGregor et Mayweather ?