Nvidia Graphic Card Driver Problems

Phoenix40 00:58 01 Sep 2014

Hello i have a desktop computer that uses wins Vista and i have a installed Nvidia 8400GS graphic card. The card seems to overheat rather quickly causing the computer to close down i.e black screen problem. I have read on some sites that downloading the latest drivers can cause the card to overheat; is that true or not? At the moment to help me keep an eye on the temperature i have downloaded Speedfan, the temperature seems to reach about 109c before it cuts out.Or is it the type of software like games can cause the graphic cards to heat up. But my card also heats up when im streaming films like from Amazon or Netflix when watching at fulscreen. So if i see the temperature reaching the hundreds i have to put my computer into sleep mode for a shortwhile. Also can their be a fault with the card or can the motherboard affect it as well? Hope someone can help thanks.

Jollyjohn 10:20 01 Sep 2014

I would double check the fan is running on the card and possibly consider a bigger fan for the case.

Phoenix40 11:00 01 Sep 2014

Hello thanks for your reply its one of those graphic cards without a fan if that means anything to anyone. I just have the main fan in my computer. If nothing can be done i will just have to put up with it till i get a new computer.

Phoenix40 13:06 01 Sep 2014

Thanks for your reply im not sure by what you mean by airflow? There are ventilator holes in the casing its near a open door most of the time. What would be the next type of Nvidia graphic card that would be suitable for a seven year old computer or would you need info about the motherboard. Let me know thanks.

rtp8™ 14:19 01 Sep 2014

If you have a small desk fan, open the PC's side panel and keep blowing cool air towards the 8400GS while operating the PC.

Keep an eye on the graphic card's temperature & if that stops it from shutting down then you know what the culprit is, here is a GeForce 210 which should work in your PC should you want to change it.

Phoenix40 14:30 02 Sep 2014

Hello thanks for replying. Yes i heard about using desk fans to cool the graphic cards. Does this method actually work then? Ive made a note on my favourites about the graphic card on the Amazon site.Can that be used on any motherboard then? I will get onto my computer engineer later on to get it and fix it up as i cant see how you setup these graphic cards in the computer cant see here the screws are for a start. Any advice be a help thanks.

Phoenix40 14:30 02 Sep 2014

Hello thanks for replying. Yes i heard about using desk fans to cool the graphic cards. Does this method actually work then? Ive made a note on my favourites about the graphic card on the Amazon site.Can that be used on any motherboard then? I will get onto my computer engineer later on to get it and fix it up as i cant see how you setup these graphic cards in the computer cant see here the screws are for a start. Any advice be a help thanks.

Phoenix40 23:11 03 Sep 2014

Hello thanks for all your help.At the the moment im using a desk fan to keep the temperature within 80c blowing through the side air vents of the computer.I hope to get the Asus Geforce 210 graphic card soon thanks.

Phoenix40 11:27 04 Sep 2014

Hello i looked at some of the other graphic cards on Amazon and there is a EVGA Geforce 610 silent type card. Can someone explain what is the difference between the silent type and those with a fan i.e what are the pros and cons for both? The one ive got already is a silent type. Also can i have any type of graphic card or does it depend what motherboard or Ram you have? The motherboard ive got is a PB BV PT890-8237A ( socket 775) The Ram is 2 GB Single Channel DDR2 @ 266Mhz ( 4-4-4-12) Intel Core Duo E4500@ 2.20Ghz processor. If im unable to have any graphic card what would be the best or most suitable either fan or silent type for these specs? Slot type is PCI. Hope someone can help before i buy anything thank you.

rtp8™ 01:31 06 Sep 2014

A silent card normally carries a higher price tag as well as a huge heat sink, a similar spec fanned card is cheaper & not necessarily nosier.

As a desk fan helps cooling your silent card down indicating it's not doing the job right then why buy another one?

The GeForce 210 should serve your basic PC tasks well until you decided to upgrade to a whole new system in my humble opinion.

carver 08:06 06 Sep 2014

Basics, have you or can you take the side of the PC of to have a look inside.

At seven years old you will see or should see an intake fan at the front and another one at the back, without electrocuting yourself are these fans working when the PC is powered up.

If they are not working or they are covered in muck then this could be part of your problem and changing a graphic card will not help your problem.

Just take off the side and sort the fans first, just *don't * poke about with your fingers while it's running or plugged in.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?