nVidia GeForce.. the right one for the job?

Diemmess 16:29 18 Aug 2007

A grandson now earning, wants to buy a new computer of his own to play "Black & White 2"

His brother and I have narrowed the choice down to a decision about the video card

It seems that GeForce abilities (and price) climb from 6100 and the game requires 6200 at least.

Anyone out there sure of what he should buy?
At present he may go for a Novatech system and replace the basic 6000 with something more powerful, but needs to know which card is sufficient?

RobCharles1981 16:45 18 Aug 2007

For starters does he need an AGP or PCI-E card?

Diemmess 17:05 18 Aug 2007

Things have moved on.
Discovered Novatech still answering at 4.50pm on a Saturday and are apparently open 1000 till 1600 on Sunday.

Advice was that within his budget - click here he could buy a E2140 system plus a Geforce 7300 for an extra £30, disable the integrated graphics and fit the better video card.

Unless anyone shouts Whoa, that should answer, but I will leave this unresolved overnight in case!

RobCharles1981 17:15 18 Aug 2007

As for PC Specs on the link they seem ok but not good to handle the graphics but I'm not sure if Evesham are still trading but you will still get a good deal with them.

click here

With Evesham you can Custom Build your PC to your taste something like the Solar MX500 wouldn't go wrong but but I got AMD Dual Core and this card

click here

Its basically up to your grandson.

Armchair 17:47 18 Aug 2007

Diemmess. Overclockers have some very good prices on Clearance PCIe graphics cards atm:-

click here

The 7900 GS for £67 delivered would be great. Or that 7600 GT for £56. Forget about 6200s! They're out of the Ark. Black and White 2 is a very demanding game, and I hope the rest of your PC is good enough for it.

Diemmess 10:55 19 Aug 2007

.... even if some of the suggestions are way out of his budget.
It is out of my hands now. I was asked for advice and with your help I gave it.

For various reasons his eyes at the moment dwell on Dell.
Having pre-loaded Vista I think appeals to him a little.... me I'd rather stay with my own choice of OS (Not an option with Dell).

His elder brother is very helpful, savvy, and able to buy at a discount through his place of holiday work.

My part will be reduced to being a sure delivery address and the chance to play with it on arrival!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The pulp art of 80s computer game magazine covers

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?