nVidia Geforce 7950 GX2 - Missing Memory?

Newbie100 15:59 26 Sep 2006

I have recently purchased a PC from Mesh Computers that has a 1GB nVidia GX2 graphics card installed.

However, when I run 'dxdiag' from the command line or click on the graphics card tab on the desktop properties, Windows reports that the memory installed on the card is only 512MB (ie. half of what it should be).

I would be grateful if anyone could shed any light on this anomoly.

Is this one of those Windows foibles where it cannot recognise the card correctly, has the card not been configured correctly, or is it merely faulty?

Mesh have been unable to give me a satisfactory answer as to why this is occuring but assure me that the card is working correctly.

However, with the ongoing problems I'm currently having with Mesh, I take everything they tell me with a large pinch of salt!

I would appreciate advice from an independant source to verify the correct operation/or not of the card.

N.B. the PC is fitted with an Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard, AMD 5200+ processor, 2GB of RAM and running Windows XP Media Centre Edition.

The multi-GPU option has also been checked within the nVidia config. software.

User-312386 16:01 26 Sep 2006

open nvidia control panel and click the top left hand side and in the right it will show you the exact amount of memory

Newbie100 16:38 26 Sep 2006

Thanks madboy33 but this gives the same 512MB as previously stated.

I believe that this is just another way of giving the same information as before (there's always more than one way of skinning a cat in Windows!)

rdave13 16:58 26 Sep 2006

Try sandra lite. click here= Click onhardware tab and click on Display and Display adapter ...

gudgulf 17:55 26 Sep 2006

The 7950Gx2 is comprises two cards in tandem....each with 512MB video memory.

They do not share 1GB but each has 512MB of its own.........just like a normal SLI setup.

And just like SLI it splts the video stream into two parts,each of which gets 512MB to play with.The game will load all the textures/maps to both cards but each will only process half of the frame.That is if a demanding game such as F.E.A.R. loads 400MB into memory...it will load 400MB to each card leaving 100MB free on each,unlike a true 1GB card which would load the 400MB leaving 600MB free.

I expect the readings you are getting are for each individual card in the pair........the 1GB often quoted is marketing speak.

In any event no game yet released uses 512MB let alone 1GB.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

5 best 3D model websites

iPhone 8 vs iPhone X

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache