Nvidia Firewall

Boxadog 16:20 01 Jan 2006

Hi, Just built a new PC using Abit AN8 Ultra motherboard which has a harware firewall built in. The firewall software is loaded from the drivers disk that comes with the mb. Have had a lot of Blue screens and corrupted downloads. Operating system is XP Pro. Have since found the Nvidia firewall is to blame (do a Google search for "Nvidia Firewall corrupt"). Tried removing and reloading the drivers with no success. Now to the question, after removing the software and re-installing, I did not notice that there was still an entry in my installed programs list. The re-installation created another. Since removing the software again, I now have two entries in my installed programs list for Nvidia firewall. One has a "Change/remove" button, the other does not. If I click on the button, the Nvidia uninstaller attempts to run but fails and closes. How can I remove these entries from my installed programs list please?

johndrew 16:27 01 Jan 2006

Happy New Year.

My machine, which has an Asus motherboard, also came with the Nvidia firewall. It gave me no joy at all, so I uninstalled it using Add/Remove.

Suggest you reinstall it/repair installation and then uninstall. First making certain it is turned off or you will have a repeat I think.

PaulB2005 16:38 01 Jan 2006

You can try the latest drivers for the board as they should fix the corruption problems. However i stopped using it because i found that you have to drop the security right down to run File and Printer Sharing. Hardly seemed worth bothering.

Boxadog 16:38 01 Jan 2006

Happy New Year!

Yes there is loads of info on the net about problems people have had with the Nvidia Firewall (blue screens and corrupt file downloads are the main ones). Had no resopnse from Abit other than "We have passed to Head Office for comment" - That was 2 months ago. There is nothing on Nvidia's site.

I am reluctant to re-install the driver again, in case I then have 3 entries which I can not delete. I don't really want to rebuild from scratch, so wondered if the registry could be edited, however I don't know what I am doing in that area, and instructions would have to be specific. I have also tried several remover programs and registry clean-up utilities, especially Nvidia driver removers, but nothing works. The firewall is definately disabled but I don't like remnants of things hanging around the system.

Thanks for your response.

Boxadog 16:42 01 Jan 2006

Hi PaulB2005,

Had the latest drivers installed from the Nvidia site but still had many problems. Safest way at present is to remove from the system. Just want to clear out the rubbish left by Nvidia's uninstaller.

PaulB2005 17:03 01 Jan 2006

click here

Add Remove Master - can clean the dead entries from your PC.

Boxadog 22:04 01 Jan 2006

Cheers for that! Have downloaded and run it. It has cleaned out the entry with the "Add/Remove" button (the Nvidia Uninstaller ran and failed again, but the Add Remove Master then asked if I wanted to "Clean" the entry, to which I answered "Yes" and it did the trick. However the other entry (without the Add/Remove button) is still in the Windows Installed Programs list but not in the Add Remove Master list (i.e. Add Remove Master can not "See" it). So I guess this one can only be removed by a registry edit.

Thanks very much for your help. At least I am half way there!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?