NVidia Drivers

Major Disaster 12:21 11 Jul 2005

Hey
I have a Nvidia Geforce MX420 video card (if you can call it that). I have recently has troubles with some of the drivers for it and after one driver download from the windows update site caused the screen to muck up (52.16). I was wondering as yet there is another driver out (77.72) how do you go about installing it properlly. Should i remove all previous drivers? Or is there some freeware out there that can sort this out for me? Thanks for any help

BigRik 12:44 11 Jul 2005

Hi Major Disaster. Hope this helps.

You do need to uninstall your previous graphics drivers first. Also, before you install the new one, shut down your anti virus so the new drivers can configure properly. When your on Nvidias' site, select driver updates at the top, go through the 3 steps and then click on download tips (or similar) on the left hand side which will explain anyway.

When your happy to start, click on primary download site, accept the agreement and off you go!

Bear in mind that when your old drivers are gone, your computer will switch to a basic graphics system so you may find things a little slow until your new driver is in.

Let me know how you get on.

BigRik 12:46 11 Jul 2005

Hi Major Disaster. Hope this helps.

You do need to uninstall your previous graphics drivers first. Also, before you install the new one, shut down your anti virus so the new drivers can configure properly. When your on Nvidias' site, select driver updates at the top, go through the 3 steps and then click on download tips (or similar) on the left hand side which will explain anyway.

When your happy to start, click on primary download site, accept the agreement and off you go!

Bear in mind that when your old drivers are gone, your computer will switch to a basic graphics system so you may find things a little slow until your new driver is in.

Let me know how you get on.

BigRik 12:48 11 Jul 2005

Sorry 'bout the double post. Didn't send first time (got time out error) so posted again.

Stuartli 12:50 11 Jul 2005

NVidia advises download accelerator utilities should be disabled when downloading any drivers and that virus protection software should not be running in the background whilst installing the drivers (it will prevent the driver from configuring itself properly).

Before installing your new drivers make sure you uninstall all nVidia display drivers from Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs; search for nVidia Windows Display Drivers or nVidia Display Drivers and select/click on Remove.

Stuartli 12:52 11 Jul 2005

nVidia display drivers are fully backwards compatile.

This website offers some very useful advice about configuring the NVidia control panel and using RivaTuner if you feel it might be useful to download it (mentioned in the article):

click here

Stuartli 12:54 11 Jul 2005

You do need to select the correct driver for your particular card - I used to have the GeForce2 MX200 at one time...:-)

Stuartli 12:55 11 Jul 2005

By the way, the driver version you've named (52.16) appears to be from quite a while back.

SurfMonkey _#:@}™ 13:15 11 Jul 2005

have you tryed uninstall drivers you have runnin deternator destroyer from here click here which will completely remove any left overs from previous drivers load in new drivers ps go to nvidia.com download the latest drivers some drivers conflict with old left over bits when u uninstall old drivers of nvidia.

Major Disaster 20:50 11 Jul 2005

Ok, sorry i havent posted in a while, thanks for your responses. In control pannel i have "Nvidia Drivers", though not "NVIDIA Windows Display Drivers" or "NVIDIA Display Drivers" that nvidia says i should remove from add/remove programmes. Does this matter that the name is different or shoudl i not uninstall Nivida Drivers? Also in C:\NVIDIA\Win2KXP i have folders for three different (old) drivers (61.77, 71.89 and 77.30), considering that the driver i am about to download is 77.72, should i just select and delete these drivers as well as uninstalling Nvidia drivers from conrtol panel or what?
Thanks for your help

BigRik 23:23 11 Jul 2005

When in your control panel, do as you did before, but just go a little further. Click on "NVIDIA Drivers". When you then click to "change/remove", another window will appear, "Remove NVIDIA Components". Of the 3 options presented, choose "Remove only the following", then "NVIDIA Display Driver".

It couldn't hurt to delete the others either as you won't be using them anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?