Nvidia driver update problems

Adnan 12:31 01 Nov 2003

I'm having trouble with the latest driver update for my GeForce FX5200. I get a catastrophic error when I go to display properties / settings / advanced and click on the GeForce FX5200 tab.

I uninstalled the existing driver as directed before starting the installation.

Should I have disabled system restore first? When I try to remove the driver it reappears after rebooting. Or should I have removed the nForce drivers as well?

pinka 12:32 01 Nov 2003

what OS are you using ?

Adnan 12:35 01 Nov 2003

I've got Windows XP.

pinka 14:24 01 Nov 2003

can you go into more detail as to what you mean by catastrophic errors ? and tell me what drivers you are using.

Adnan 14:44 01 Nov 2003

The new driver is version 5.2.1.6. Everything seems ok until I go into the advanced settings, as I mentioned above.
The error given at first is "nvcpl: catastrophic failure". After clicking ok another error comes up:
"RUNDLL: an exception occurred while trying to run "shell32.dll, Control_RunDLL "C:\Windows\System32\desk.cpl", Display" "

The previous driver was 4. something.

I guess one cure would be to stop going into those advanced settings...

JIM 15:07 01 Nov 2003

Had same result after downloading latest driver from win updates(and i did not uninstall first)
go back to display properties,settings,advanced click on the adapter tab,properties,driver,and select rollback driver.

Adnan 14:07 02 Nov 2003

Rolled back the driver ok. I think in future I won't be so hasty in getting updates.

thanx :)

Grayd 23:29 04 Nov 2003

Has anybody - NVIDIA, Microsoft - owned up and said that this is a cock up?

I just caused major panic in the household by downloading this "RECOMMENDED UPDATE" and knackering our PC. Managed the rollback on my own but this is the second MS download error that I've come across in a couple of months.

Who's to blame?

Gray D

Jester2K II 08:22 05 Nov 2003

I got the exact same thing with my GF3 Ti200. Answer was to remove the old driver, use Detonator RIP click here to remove all traces and then install the new drivers...

Grayd - Ignore the MS download. Get the drivers from click here or click here and install as above..

Grayd 19:52 06 Nov 2003

Welllllllllllll, given that the PC's working again and I've got no complaints about the graphics anyway, I think I'll just leave it be.

As we say in computing,"If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Lesson learned, though.

Thanks for taking the time to reply,

Gray D

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone