NVIDIA Driver problem

Hedders83 14:53 09 Feb 2008

I have just bought a new 7300GT nvidia graphics card (agp) I have fitted the card and when I try and install the drivers it just crashes halfway through and shuts down, I then have to restart using last know good config. Windows states it is a problem with.nvid.4 or something similar. Please help (motherborad is a Gigabyte GA7 VT600 1394 (all bios etc up to date)thanks

johndrew 16:19 09 Feb 2008

You could check the NVidia and Gigabyte sites to see if there is a need to update the BIOS to accept the drivers. I have seen this with Asus from time to time so it may also occur with Gigabyte.

citadel 16:21 09 Feb 2008

if you are replacing another card you shoud uninstall it's drivers before installing the new card. if you are using the new card to replace motherboard integrated graphics you may have to disable them in the bios first. most motherboards auto disable onboard graphics when a card is inserted in the slot but there are exceptions.

radi8or 16:29 09 Feb 2008

Hedders83,

Is this an upgrade from onboard graphics, if so have you disabled it in the BIOS.

If a replacement, have you uninstalled all previous graphics drivers, especially if you have changed brands ie from ATI to nVidia.

Have you d/loaded the latest driver from nvidia.

Regards Bob

radi8or 16:32 09 Feb 2008

D'oh must learn speed typing :0))

Stuartli 16:44 09 Feb 2008

To get rid of all previous graphics drivers I use Drive Cleaner Pro (freeware).

Uninstall as much as possible first and then run DC Pro:

click here

It's also worth reading up on the subject via the excellent Tweak Guides (there's one for ATi cards as well):

click here

Hedders83 17:01 09 Feb 2008

thanks guys I have uninstalled my old ATI card first, and done everything you have said so far, I cannot get past a certain point when installing drivers, then it crashes and I boot up having to use safe mode. I am not up on BIOS but have looked in there and cannot see any vga settings at all. cheers

Hedders83 09:38 10 Feb 2008

I tried a few tweaks and a nv4 disp fix and turned off Norton and it appears to have worked. Thanks for tips

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017