Nvidia to ATI problem

Gav5 21:20 08 Jan 2009

Hi folks,

I've recently changed my graphics card from a Nvidia 8800 to the ATI Radeon 4870. I have an Intel Core 2 duo system which was running pretty nicely with the 8800, but since the change to the 4870 the system hangs for maybe 20 seconds after the password logon and then takes a while to load up the applications in the toolbar in windows.

I can only assume it's an issue with drivers although i do have the latest Gigabyte (mobo) and ATI drivers. I believe i've removed all the Nvidia drivers.

Does anyone have any experience of changing from Nvidia to ATI on an Intel system ? I realise it's not the worst problem but it annoys me.

Thanks

Also, any other suggestions which might assist are greatly appreciated.

Terry Brown 21:25 08 Jan 2009

Try starting your machine in Safe Mode and select VGA mode. This will select a very low resolution screen. Re-load your graphics software and this should cure the problem.
Terry

Gav5 21:40 08 Jan 2009

Terry,

I'll give it a go and let you know, probably tomorrow.

Thanks

Stuartli 00:15 09 Jan 2009

Read this verry comprehensive guide thoroughly:

click here

and also note the Drive Cleaner Pro (freeware) advice.

I have an ATi graphics card, but I only install the ATi driver and, instead of the Catalyst software, use ATi Tray Tools instead (a much smaller package, but equally as effecitve). See:

click here

The driver can be downloaded from:

click here

Gav5 09:36 27 Jan 2009

Hi guys,

Sorry for the delay, i've been a busy bee. As suggested, i uninstalled all references to drivers, restarted in safe-mode, used a driver sweeper then reinstalled the drivers & not the Catalyst Control Centre. This seems to speed things up a fair bit so Thanks.

P.S. Cheers for the link Stuartli, a wealth of info in there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?