NVIDIA 6200 card/driver

Furkin 13:36 13 Feb 2010

Hi,
ACER T120 Desktop. XP Pro SP3. 2gb (max) RAM. NVidia 6200/DVI.

I have just downloaded Hustle from BBC1.
I downloaded fully before watching it.
Although the quality of the picture (& audio) is very good, the picture stammers a bit & the audio is out of sync.
I think this only about the third thing that I've downloaded to watch,,,,, the last time being probably 12 months ago. I don't remember the BBC system being this bad before.
The ITV one on the other hand was atrocious - so much so, that I don't try it any more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you think it's the BBC system, is there anything I can do about it ? I'm sure that the rest of you wouldn't put up with watching things like this - and the system wouldn't exist.

If you think it's my card, I don't mind going for something a bit better.

If you think it's my system, then it will have to wait.

thanks for reading.

GaT7 14:00 13 Feb 2010

Your spec appears fine for this. If you were using WMP try another media player to see if it makes a difference - e.g. VLC click here.

If no joy, can you provide a link to this download please? I'll try it out & see if it's any different on my PC & get back to you. Also let me know the media player(s) you used. G

Furkin 17:15 13 Feb 2010

Thanks for getting back to me.
I don't know which player I used,,,,, I just followed the instructions on BBC iPlayer.
I opened the Home page [click here],,, searched for episode 6 of Hustle and downloaded it.
After 30 minutes or so, I watched it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

((one of the main reasons I don't use the ITV version, is that you have to watch it whilst it's streaming [or it used to be like that]. The results were pretty similar to what occurred today with BBC.
That's why the BBC one had better results,,,, as you can download it first if you want.))

cheers

Furkin 10:46 18 Feb 2010

CB7:
hiya mate, I was wondering if you had time to look at this please ?
I realise that you are busy and appreciate your time.

GaT7 18:42 18 Feb 2010

Sorry, I tried it out a short while ago & it was fine on 2 PCs, both using XP Pro SP3, & one of which had integrated graphics.

Try uninstalling, then reinstalling iPlayer. Something could be wrong with the player(s) or their codecs. Do you have other programs running when using iPlayer/ITV's one? Are there any conflicts at all in Device Manager?

Btw, WMP & VLC are unlikely to run the downloaded iPlayer videos, as both seem to be blocked from doing so, or lacking the necessary codecs. G

DieSse 00:36 19 Feb 2010

Stutters when playing video are usually due to some other activity in the background taking too much of the system resources.

Try closing all other running software, disabling indexing, even stopping the AV program (take out the internet cable if you do this).

I presume you've already installed the latest 6200 drivers?

Furkin 17:04 21 Feb 2010

Sorry for delay in getting back. My Notify of Replies dosn't work.

CB7:
I'll try un-installing etc and see how it goes.
As to running other stuff,,,, not really. If anything is important enough for me to download, then I turn everything else off whilst I watch it.
To be truthful, I don't recall exactly what I use for watching,,,,, I just follow the on-screen pointers at the time.

DS:
When I say that I stop everything,,,, I have never stopped the A/V stuff. When I first used the system, i'm sure it was 100% o.k,,,, otherwise I wouldn't bother with it. (Like the ITV one has always been bad [on my kit] so don't bother using it)
Driver - yep, got the latest for the model.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't mind going for a bit better card,(not that I think this is causing the problem) but as a non gamer & very rare TV/Video watcher, I think the 6200 is adequate.
I invite recommendations though.

Thanks for your time guys.

GaT7 17:21 21 Feb 2010

You must have been using their iPlayer for watching - I don't think one can use anything else.

Like you, I don't think there's anything wrong with the graphics card, but how does a DirectX diagnostics test fare? To do this: Start > Run > type dxdiag > press OK. When the DD Tool loads completely, click on the Display, Sound & Music tabs & run each 'Test...' there. Do they all run successfully? Sometimes the system & audio/video can behave in a flakey manner when there are errors in these tests.

Are there any conflicts in Device Manager (I had asked the last time but you didn't say)? G

Furkin 10:14 23 Feb 2010

CB7: Thanks.
Did the DIAG check and all is well.
DM also shows no probs.

Baz

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017