Nutty Norm again.computer memory upgrade

nutty norm 23:40 15 Aug 2008

Query, Having looked at My computer Memory, According to Crucial (The memory Experts)I have 768 MB total, Would it be worth adding another256mb to gain a little more or would you not bother, and stick to going for another computer. as i was planning, as my computer is about 5years old.and it is slowing down alot, nutty Norm.

dermot-titus 23:44 15 Aug 2008

I would bakup your important data and do a reinstall of windows. After awhile it gets bogged down and a good clear out can speed things up no end.

Dermot.

rdave13 23:47 15 Aug 2008

Personally I'd go for a new PC. Keep the old one for backup in case the new one goes belly up as they can do. Keep the old one updated once in a while and transfer data you wish to back-up on to it.

DieSse 01:05 16 Aug 2008

Another 256MB would not make enough difference to bother.

My system is more than 5 years old - and if anything is running better and faster than ever. (p4 2.4MHz - 1 GB Dual-access RAM - GeF5200 graphics) - modest by todays standards, but faster than any clients systems I see apart from the very latest.

Get rid of unwanted programs

Run a good thorough Disk Cleaner - I use Wise (free version)

Run a good Registry Cleaner - I use Wise for that too.

Do a thorough scan with Spybot or similar to clean out any malware.

Go through you installed program folder and local settings and get rid of things that should have been deleted.

Try Revo Uninstaller to get rid of program "leftovers"

Stop all unnecessary running programs.

Get a fast AV program (I use eset security suite, probably both the best AND the least drag on the system).

Disk and Reg clean again.

Defrag the drive.

It can make a world of difference. Disk Clean at least weekly.

Wise programs click here

Revo click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie