numbers for "gateway" on router setup?

ernieernie 11:14 09 Aug 2008

I am having difficulty setting up a new NETGEAR WGT624 router.
It keeps asking for the gateway IP Address.
I have all the other numbers
IP Address, 86.3.210.185
IP Subnet Mask, 25.255.255.0
Primary DNS 62 253 162 237
Secondary DNS 194.168.4.237
But setup will not proceed without the Gateway IP Address.
All help gratefully received.

FatboySlim71 11:19 09 Aug 2008

On my Netgear DG834GT my gateway IP address is 213.130.147.48 but I do not know if this is the same for everyone or if it differs from ISP to ISP.

ernieernie 11:51 09 Aug 2008

Thanks for trying fatboyslim71, but my computer said it didn't match the IP address.
Any one else with suggestions?

ernieernie 11:52 09 Aug 2008

Thanks for trying fatboyslim71, but my computer said it didn't match the IP address.
Any one else with suggestions?

Ditch999 12:09 09 Aug 2008

You router should acquire this automatically from your ISP (NTL by any chance??) Try switching the modem off for half an hour then back on.

If its the default gateway from your PC then you can find it out by
Start>Run>cmd
then type in
ipconfig /all
although the default Gateway can be your routers address in this case

Ditch999 12:15 09 Aug 2008

If it is NTL then according to this click here your DNS settings are wrong. They should be
Primary: 194.168.4.100
Secondary: 194.168.8.100

Ditch999 12:31 09 Aug 2008

Or follow the Troubleshooting tips on Netgears website click here

ernieernie 17:29 09 Aug 2008

Thanks lads. I'm not quite sure how, but I now have access to the net through my router.
I can also see both my desktop (wired) and laptop (wireless) from Start/network, but if I try to access one from the other I get a screen asking for User Name and Password.
I have not set either of these so far as I know and I haven't a clue what to do about it. None of my usual names and passwords will work.
I am on NTL but can't think that has any bearing on this problem.
I hope you lads enjoy doing this. it is certainly a blessing for me.

FatboySlim71 17:38 09 Aug 2008

"I can also see both my desktop (wired) and laptop (wireless) from Start/network, but if I try to access one from the other I get a screen asking for User Name and Password."

The usual username to access the router (Netgear) is admin (for the username) and password (for the password).

Ditch999 17:49 09 Aug 2008

In order to share files and connect to another PC on your Network you need to have the same Windows Logon User name and password on each PC (ie the same account on each PC) and they have to be in the same Workgroup eg WORKGROUP which you will see if you R click on My Computer and select Properties and click on the Computer Name tab.

ernieernie 11:29 10 Aug 2008

I now have on my Desktop computer;
Computer name - Ernest
Full computer name - Ernest
Computer description - Desktop
Workgroup - WORKGROUP
On my Laptop they are respectively;
ErnestDale
ErnestDale
Laptop
WORKGROUP
When I go to Workgroup on the Desktop computer I am faced with ERNEST, COMET-PC and ERNESTDALE, in other words I seem to have three computers.
When I try to access ERNESTDALE it says Windows cannot access \\ERNESTDALE - Check the spelling etc. The same applies to COMET-PC.
When I go to Workgroup on the Laptop I am faced with the saame three computers.
When I try to access ERNEST it ask me for user name and password which I cannot make it accept.
Over to you!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?