Number Lock need it on at boot up

DJ-Garry 21:13 22 Oct 2007

Hi guys.

New Acer laptop running vista home premium and i cat seem to find how to get number lock to be on after bootup. I have a 17" model that has the room for a number pad that i use a lot.
I have looked in the bios and cant see it there as it is on my desktop. is there a software option to envoke it just after bootup please?

Cheers, Garry

Clapton is God 21:15 22 Oct 2007

If Num Lock is on when you shut down (or, better still, permanently on) it should remain on at boot up.

VoG II 21:15 22 Oct 2007
  DJ-Garry 00:28 23 Oct 2007

The program you posted the link to doesn't seen to want to work wih Vista.

Clapton is God.

If Num Lock is on when I shut down, it is off when I turn it back on. It only stays on if I do a restart. It's getting it to stay 'permanently on' that I need. Normally done in the bios with all the other machines I've had.

The error that can up with the Set Number Lock program seems to have been trying to change a registry key that's diferent in Vista than XP.

Does anyone know the Reg key I need to change and where to find it in Vista, I can go into regedit and change it manually then??

ambra4 04:29 23 Oct 2007

Check the bios I believe there is a setting to make the Number Lock on at boot up

Eric10 12:26 23 Oct 2007

The setting in the BIOS will set NumLock on at startup and Windows should remember the last state (on or off). Unfortunately NumLock goes off at the login screen by default.

I don't have Vista to try this out for you but this is the Registry change needed for XP to put NumLock on at the login screen and the same keys could be in Vista's Registry.

Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Keyboard\InitialKeyboardIndicators
Change the value from 0 to 2
For All Users, make the same change to HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Keyboard\InitialKeyboardIndicators

DJ-Garry 15:28 23 Oct 2007

As I put in my original post, there is no option for it in the bios on this laptop but I'll see if the reg key Eric10 suggests is there and give it a try. Ta.

woodchip 15:39 23 Oct 2007

As Eric it's in the BIOS

woodchip 15:40 23 Oct 2007

It is normaly on by BIOS default

skidzy 15:41 23 Oct 2007

As above normally in the bios,and the reg key is correct in Vista also Eric.

Eric10 16:40 23 Oct 2007

Since skidzy has been good enough to confirm that the Registry keys are still good for Vista I thought it might be appropriate to list the different options that can be used:

0. All Keys off
1. Caps Lock on
2. Num Lock on
3. Caps Lock and Num Lock on
4. Scroll Lock on
5. Caps Lock and Scroll Lock on
6. Num Lock and Scroll Lock on
7. Caps Lock, Num Lock, and Scroll Lock on

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

These beautiful, mesmerising & subtle GIFs celebrate 30 years of the artform

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017