Number lock

weeby vuit 19:26 06 Jan 2004

When we start XP, the number keys on the right don't work until the num lock is pressed. Can we make it come on by itself?

MAJ 19:31 06 Jan 2004

The setting will be in the BIOS, you'll have to boot to the BIOS to set it to ON.

MAJ 19:33 06 Jan 2004

Forgot to say, it'll be called something like "Boot up Numlock Status".

Sir Radfordin 20:00 06 Jan 2004

Doesn't work in XP (via the BIOS) there is a registry hack you can use but that makes the num lock like stay on all the time even when the computer is off. Get in the habit of turning it on as the first thing you do and life will be simple.

Dazwm 20:02 06 Jan 2004

I believe if you are running xp, it will remember the condition of number lock when you shut down and on a start up it will be put on/off depending on its last state.

Methedrine 20:10 06 Jan 2004

Works with my BIOS and I'm running XP.

Gr@h@m 20:15 06 Jan 2004

I should wait for your dad! I'm not sure whether num lock is on (light on) for the keys to work.

click here

weeby vuit 21:10 06 Jan 2004

I'll wait for dad.

MAJ 02:09 07 Jan 2004

Have to disagree Sir Radfordin, it does work with XP.

Jester2K 08:02 07 Jan 2004

My BIOS keeps my NumLock on just fine at boot up....

Sir Radfordin 09:32 07 Jan 2004

Happy for you to disagree but believe me, setting it to be on in the BIOS doesn't work on my PC. It is for boot up but as soon as XP loads it then turns it off until you login when it sets it to the last state of that user.

Changing the registry does work, but as I said it means the light stays on even when the computer is off.

Perhaps it depends on the combination of BIOS and XP!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?