Num Lock on Windows Start Up

khaki_avenger 09:57 02 Jun 2004

Seem to have a problem when booting up Windows XP Pro. My Num Lock has been disabled... and therefore need to press the num lock key in oredr to finish off inputting my password. This acn be very frustrating and i'm always forgetting to press the num lock key. Does anyone no how to change a setting that will keep my num lock on

TIA

FRANKMAC 10:06 02 Jun 2004

I think you will find these option in your pc's bios settings.

recap 10:17 02 Jun 2004

Num Lock & Caps Lock are not available after a boot up, you do need to press the key for them to be activated.

Graham ® 10:26 02 Jun 2004

Enter BIOS by pressing F1 during boot. There is an option to turn num lock on, select it and exit saving changes.

Eric10 14:26 02 Jun 2004

I've just been experimenting with this and here is the outcome on my PC. With Num Lock turned on in the BIOS it comes on initially but goes off just before the login screen then comes on again just after logging in. There is however a Registry tweek that will put Num Lock on before the login screen irespective of whether it's turned ON or OFF in the BIOS.

Open the Registry editor and navigate to HKEY_USERS, DEFAULT, Control Panel, Keyboard, right-click InitialKeyboardIndicators and change the 0 to 2. Don't forget to back up the Registry before making any changes.

Graham ® 14:39 02 Jun 2004

When num lock comes on the first time, it's because the keyboard is being checked. The fact that it is on after Windows has loaded, I would suggest, renders the Registry change unnecessary.

khaki_avenger 17:21 02 Jun 2004

I will give these a try and let you know the outcome.

woodchip 17:24 02 Jun 2004

Yep it's in ther BIOS that you make it work

VoG II 17:33 02 Jun 2004

click here click on WinXP Utilities then Set the NumLock Key On/Off

Pesala 17:38 02 Jun 2004

This is a useful tip too:

VoG™ Wed, 31.03.04 | 18:32

Control Panel/Accessibility, Keyboard tab, Toggle Keys.

Djohn Wed, 31.03.04 | 18:36

Start/Control panel/Accessibility options, Accessibility options again/Keyboard tab and place a tick in the "Use Toggle Keys" box.

Now you will hear the tone on pressing Caps lock and number lock keys. j.

Eric10 18:50 02 Jun 2004

Graham ®, khaki_avenger wants the Num Lock on at the login screen not after Windows has loaded. VoG's link is good as it provides a method of doing this for anyone who may not be comfortable editing the Registry but it just changes the same key that I highlighted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?