$NtUninstallKB901017$\cdosys.dll

johndrew 19:00 14 Nov 2006

I have been updating my son`s laptop as he has no web connection. Because of the period since updating there was considerable Windows traffic. Whilst I was at it I updated AVG and the other anti-malware packages.

Having done all the updating I ran Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, A-squared Free, Defender and AVG Free. On running AVG it hung and the screen froze - there was no cursor movement and no reaction from Ctrl-Alt-Del. To get control of the laptop I had to hold the start button and reboot fully. I ran AVG again and it all froze at the same point - when scanning WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB901017$\cdosys.dll. I tried using the quick scan and got the same result.

I turned up four Trojan Loaders with Ad-Aware which were dealt with but the other Programs showed nothing.

I have checked my PC and foundI have the same file and AVG runs fine on mine.

Has any one any suggestions? I have Googled the `$NtUninstallKB901017$\cdosys.dll` bit but can find nothing that helps me (or that I can understand!!).

Many thanks in anticipation.

VoG II 19:06 14 Nov 2006

It is part of an uninstaller for Windows Update KB901017.

You can delete these files click here

Jackcoms 19:07 14 Nov 2006

It's probably a Hotfix uninstaller.

In the great scheme of things you don't need it unless you are planning to uninstall some or all of Microsoft's hotfixes.

I suggest you download click here and run it to give the laptop a good overall clean up.

Under Windows/Advanced ensure that 'Hotfix Uuninstallers' is ticked. That will remove all the uninstallers and, hopefully, solve the AVG freezing problem.

johndrew 19:12 14 Nov 2006

Thanks for your swift responses people.

Having posted the above I have gone into Safe Mode and am now running a selecive are scan there.

The first thing it came up with was a `Reading Error` in the `Boot sector of disk`. This didn`t occur in `normal` mode. Is it to be expected?

johndrew 10:56 15 Nov 2006

Completed the scan in Safe Mode with no hang of AVG.

My password with AVG forums has expired so cannot post there at the moment to see if anyone else knows anything.

Still cannot understand why I got the `Reading Error` though; it doesn`t occur normally so it may be a false positive. Have looked at other posts and it seems this has been a problem on some machines in the past (windows 98SE & ME) This is running XP Home.

Have removed the Uninstaller in question and AVG runs a complete scan.

All very strange!!!!!! Especially as AVG runs a scan on my PC with the file present.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?