ntoskrnl.exe missing or corrupt (vista)

Sean.f 21:55 21 Nov 2008

I have Windows Vista installed on one HDD and XP on the other. When I start up my pc i get the option to start with Vista or older version on windows, I installed vista service pack 1 and it says ntoskrnl.exe missing or corrupt, I inserted the vista disk and repaired the errors and started fine and no service pack installed. Did this twice and both time the same so disabled auto update, or so I thought, my son has installed service pack 1 and now getting the error again but this time the unable to repair with the windows disk, I dont want to have to do a fresh install as I have emails I would like to keep.

MAT ALAN 22:00 21 Nov 2008

click here

this may help...

Technotiger 22:01 21 Nov 2008

You could back-up your emails ... click here if you need to do a re-install.

Sean.f 22:26 21 Nov 2008

Thanks Mat Alan but that way also failed had a go 3 time this afternoon followed all the instructions but when i exit out of the dos box and select restart it should do a restore but it just restarts the pc as normal and im back to selecting os version and vista still wont start i can use XP fine.

Sean.f 22:28 21 Nov 2008

not sure how to back up emails when i cant get vista going

Sean.f 17:18 22 Nov 2008

OK I have followed the instructions on how to try and repair this but now it wont let me select what os to use it just goes to vista and then i get the ntoskrnl.exe missing or corrupt again, so look like its a reinstall, but before I do this can I plug my drive in another pc and back-up my emails?

Sean.f 17:08 23 Nov 2008

Thanks for the help got my emails backed up now

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017