NTLDR missing - system won't boot.

second best 11:25 12 Feb 2004

hi, i have had this problem before, but managed to fix it by copying files from inst cd. this time however, i just selected-boot from cd, and it did, no problems. i have just spoken to my local comp shop and he has told me that he has had four ppl in this week with the same problem, suggesting it was a virus, which i'm inclined to believe. this is a new system i have, apart from the hard drives which have both been fully formatted with clean installs. the thing is, my flat mate in the room right nex to me never seems to have the problem i have with my machine. there always seems to be something wrong with it. i'm wondering if i have a virus hidden in my back up files, that when i format, i am re-introducing n to the system.. i have had problem with my original machine for nearly 3 years now. could it be that after all this time, i am consistently placinga virus onto my system, and not picking it up. i have used norton in the past.

Chegs ® 12:08 12 Feb 2004

Replacing the Boot Sector
If Ntldr is damaged or missing, or if the boot sector is corrupted, you can resolve either problem by using the Recovery Console
click here

Using Recovery Console to Recover from Startup Problems
click here

Troubleshooting Disks and File Systems
Windows® XP Professional provides improved troubleshooting tools for disks and file systems
click here

According to where I found this info,the problem can be cured by altering the boot sequence.If this is correct(and you can)then the reason its often happening on your pc is caused by boot order of devices.(CD Floppy HDD etc)The NTLDR missing is not likely to be caused by an infection,its most probably due to you changing the order after reinstall.

Chegs ® 12:09 12 Feb 2004

click here

From here

second best 12:42 12 Feb 2004

thnaks chegs, but i havent changed the boot order. or rather not until i had the problem. i just shut down last night. it was fine. i can't see why this is a common problem for me. like i said. all i done this time is put in the xp cd and it boot up. won't know if it's ok till i restart though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?