ntldr is missing press ctrl-alt-delete

oldnovice 11:46 14 May 2010

Hello I was installing sp3 just over halfway into installation it said access denied rolled everything back restart on rebooting it said
ntldr is missing press ctrl-alt-delete which i did no response tried rebooting from my xp cd says press any key to continue defaults to ntldr is missing press ctrl-alt-delete can anyone help i have access to another pc thanks

Sea Urchin 11:54 14 May 2010
  northumbria61 12:02 14 May 2010

More detailed instructions here for you to try.

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:29 14 May 2010

Take all discs out of drives and reboot

oldnovice 13:15 14 May 2010

have downloaded bcupdate file to put on floppy disc but instructions on Microsoft website seem a little confusing,took all discs out rebooted no change thanks for help so far

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:19 14 May 2010

On the good machine

First format a Floppy disc

Run type
Format A: /u

Then open Notepad and copy and Paste this

[boot loader]
timeout=-1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, first partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, second partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, third partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, fourth partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, first partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, second partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, third partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, fourth partition" /sos
C:\="Previous Operating System on C:\"

Save as

in Notepad as BOOT.INI

Then in search find

NTDETECT.COM
NTLDR

Add these to the floppy disc

you can now try starting your computer with the floppy disc

oldnovice 17:37 14 May 2010

after run Format A: /u it says volume label(11characters,ENTER for none)? with curser flashing what to do next please

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:41 14 May 2010

just press enter

Then open Notepad and copy and Paste this

[boot loader]
timeout=-1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, first partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, second partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, third partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, fourth partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, first partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, second partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, third partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, fourth partition" /sos
C:\="Previous Operating System on C:\"

Save as

in Notepad as BOOT.INI

Then in search find

NTDETECT.COM
NTLDR

Add these to the floppy disc

oldnovice 17:47 14 May 2010

when i copy and paste from notepad it says disk drive A is not formatted do you want to format now i already formatted disc at start sorry to be a pain

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:52 14 May 2010

Reformat the disk

you should be saving the boot.ini file you made with Notepad to the floppy.
not copy and pasting to the floppy.

oldnovice 19:23 14 May 2010

Thanks everyone for help thank-you Fruit Bat /\0/\ for your patience i got to the boot screen to select a location to boot from but the keyboard doesnt function tried 2 both usb will try with ps2 keyboard tomorrow

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017