NTLDR is missing

sunshine65 10:31 31 Dec 2009

My computer keeps closing down after 2-3 minutes. I get the above message. I have tried to recover the system but again it closes down, I am not experienced enough to touch the BIOS ?. Can I fix it ?, help please.

VoG II 10:43 31 Dec 2009

click here may help.

baldydave 11:48 31 Dec 2009

Just a long shot,but check all drives for disks eg floppy or cdrom and remove disks then reboot.
I have seen many pcs with this message as someone has left a floppy in the drive.

sunshine65 13:22 31 Dec 2009

Thank you for your replies.
VoG, "Windows bootable cd" is that the recovery disk ? and where do I find the root directory ?. I shall give it a go.
baldydave, I have checked the drives, could this have happened if a back-up external drive was left in the usb port when closing down ?
Cheers and happy new year. !"

VoG II 13:29 31 Dec 2009

"Windows bootable cd" means a Windows installation CD.

The root drive is normally C:\

woodchip 13:50 31 Dec 2009

This may help with Vog's link, six XP bootable discs.

scroll down for xp click here

woodchip 13:52 31 Dec 2009

This may also be able to help click here

sunshine65 14:03 03 Jan 2010

It's me again!. I have tried all your suggestions, I found a boot up disk and recovery disk I made before I used the computer for the first time. I've tried Esc, F1, F10 on startup, and put the two disks in but the computer does not stay on long enough to do anything. I may now have to decide whether to have it repaired or buy a new one, it's annoying as it is only three years old. We have always bought HP but we may now look at something else.
Thanks a lot everyone.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:06 03 Jan 2010

do this on a good machine athen start the other machine with the floppy.

It takes just one floppy disc,

First format a Floppy disc

Run type
Format A: /u

Then open Notepad and copy and Paste this

[boot loader]
timeout=-1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, first partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, second partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, third partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, fourth partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, first partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, second partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, third partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, fourth partition" /sos
C:\="Previous Operating System on C:\"

Save as

in Notepad as BOOT.INI

Then in search find

NTDETECT.COM
NTLDR

Add these to the floppy disc

you can now try starting your computer with the floppy disc

woodchip 17:39 03 Jan 2010

If its HP have you tried tapping F11 with the Disc you created in the drive while computer is booting. Thats nornall way to do HP recovery

woodchip 17:40 03 Jan 2010

F10 takes you to BIOS setup

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?