NTLDR Missing

budha 20:08 04 Mar 2006

I have just built a new PC. Pentium 4. CPU 2GHZ 512 MB Memory. 120 GB New Hard Drive. On starting the computer, a message appears at the bottom of the screen-- 'NTLDR' Missing. I get into set up but on restart the same message appears. Is it the Hard drive that is faulty? Thank you for any help
Felix

Wuggy 20:15 04 Mar 2006

Have a look here
click here
and here
click here;EN-US;q314057&ID=KB;EN-US;q314057
and here
click here
Should be something to assist.

wobblymike 20:41 04 Mar 2006

It means its trying to boot from the hard drive and there is nothing on it - have you formatted your hard drive prior to installing the OS?

budha 21:17 04 Mar 2006

Hi Wobblymike. Thank you for the information. How do I fragment the Hard drive? Could it be done on the same one.

wobblymike 08:40 05 Mar 2006

I don't quite understand your question - I assume you have a single hard drive - you must format it and in my opinion (you will get varying ones on this forum) you should partition it. To format download the appropriate utility from the manufascturer of your hard drive e.g. if it Maxtor you need Maxblast. get it from the maxtor site. If you need more help post back.

User-312386 09:41 05 Mar 2006

NTLDR Missing
If you have FAT32 partitions, it is much simpler than with NTFS. Just boot with a Win98 floppy and copy the NTLDR or NTDETECT.COM files from the i386 directory to the root of the C:\ drive.

For NTFS:
Insert and boot from your Windows XP CD.

At the first R=Repair option, press the R key Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair. Typically this will be #1 Enter in the administrator password when requested

Enter in the following commands (X: is replaced by the actual drive letter that is assigned to the CD ROM drive) COPY X:\i386\NTLDR C\: COPY X:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C:\ Take out the CD ROM and type exit

budha 11:44 05 Mar 2006

Thank you fellas for the advice given. I am typing this page to enable me to fragment the new hard drive. It should be rememberd, I have built a new computer with the new Hard drive. I want to start Windows XP. I have the CD. Cheers Felix

budha 22:39 05 Mar 2006

Hi Fellas. I am sorry for the wrong information I have given. In both my queeries I meant to say 'FORMAT'Instead of FRAGMENT. Thank you

budha 09:03 06 Mar 2006

Hi madboy. I tried inserting the windfows XP disc in the CD ROM. The CDROM lights were flashing but the same error came on- 'Press CTRL-ALT-DEL and restart.' I tried all night to get the computer going but no luck. Any more tips?

mgmcc 09:13 06 Mar 2006

Download the NTLDR.zip file from my website - click here - copy the two files it contains (NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM) to a floppy disk and boot the PC with that. You should get an error message that the Boot.ini file is invalid and that it is booting from C:\WINDOWS, after which it should load Windows. If that worked, copy the two files to the root of "C" drive.

Unfortunately the "NTLDR is missing" error can be an indication of more serious problems.

wobblymike 09:33 06 Mar 2006

budha
are you quite sure your pc is set to boot from cd? your description sounds like it is going straight to the hard drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires