NTLDR is missing ....

woofwoofbark 00:01 16 Feb 2006

press ctrl alt del to restart .....

I get the message whenever I turn on my computer , I have just formatted my HD and reloaded XP home and now I get the message for some wierd reason ? but when I click the ctrl>alt>del buttons and the comp reboots , everything is then fine , the message only happens if the comp is switched on.

lemme explain , I have 2 40 gb HD's , one is split to read as 2 20gb HD's i.e.:- I have Windows XP HE , with Windows on C: 20gb HD , I also have D: 40gb HD and E: 20gb HD .... I tried a repair through booting from my XP OEM disc , didnt work , and tried sfc /scannow , didnt work either ... ive looked in control panel>performance and maintenance>administrative tools>computer management>disk management
and have the followind setup

Master C:{System} 20 gb Windows is on this HD
Slave 1 D:(Active) 40gb
Slave 2 E: 20gb

what is the NTLDR file used for ? and does anyone have any advice

Many Thanks

beemerman

stalion 00:19 16 Feb 2006
  surfsteruk 02:39 16 Feb 2006

Funnily enough, I had the same problem just this morning. Came up out of the blue after a normal shutdown.

This is how I solved it.

Insert your XP disk into drive and boot from it. It will give you options to do a reinstall etc. Press 'R' to do a repair.

At the command prompt, type in the following to replace the missing NTLDR files:

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\ and
copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:
hope this helps...

rbolwell2 08:54 16 Feb 2006

or an easier way - load up the recovery console as previously explained and type fixboot

works for me

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?