Ntldr missing

Steve 07:28 13 Feb 2004

Win XP Home. PC starts OK, but when I reboot I get NTLDR missing press Ctrl,Alt Delete. I do this and it's OK. My C Drive is on a raid card. Any Ideas

Jester2K 07:34 13 Feb 2004
  temp003 07:40 13 Feb 2004

It's one of those XP messages which say a file is missing or corrupt, but in fact is there (and not corrupt) on the computer most of the time, but the boot process can't find.

There are various methods which may or may not work, but the one with the highest chance of success is probably a repair installation. Just boot up computer with XP installation CD, as soon as you see the XP setup screen, if necessary press F6 (to allow you to insert a floppy for the driver for the RAID controller card and follow the prompts for that). Then press Enter to enter Setup. F8 to accept agreement. highlight existing XP installation (C:\WINDOWS) and press R to repair existing installation.

temp003 07:46 13 Feb 2004

Quite often, a raid card may have a raid driver and a non-raid driver. If you're not using raid, just use the non-raid driver (basically the simple disk controller driver).

Not sure whether you will need to press F6 to install the driver from a floppy, but usually if your hdd is on a PCI disk controller card, you do need to with XP installation. You can try not pressing F6 and see if you can get to the XP setup welcome screen. If you get error message saying cannot detect hard drive or something like that, you will need to start again and press F6.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?