NTL Wireless Broadband help

ajm 00:48 06 Jan 2005

What equipment is required to enable 1 laptop to access the NTL Broadband Wireless.

Currently, the laptop is connected through etherent to the Cable Modem. I wish to add a wireless router that is compatible with cable. This will allow me to connect wirelessly from the laptop in the home.

Will there be any difficulties in setting up the wireless equipment, and is there any particular make/model that will do the job with minimum hassle.

djwheeler 10:59 06 Jan 2005

Should be easy enough to setup, friend of mine has i working OK. Couple of routers you could try, the Belkin High speed router (F5D7231uk4) or the Linksys Wireless-G router (WRT54G).

spargo 13:11 06 Jan 2005

ajm

Have a look at the NTL website there is help there.

TomJerry 13:26 06 Jan 2005

with firewall: D-Link DI-514 11Mbps Broadband Wireless Router £43.60 click here

without firewall, dirt cheap old model: D-Link 11mbps Access Point W/1 10/100 Lan Port + 64/128wep £32.49 click here

without firewall: Linksys BEFW11S4 11Mbps Wireless Broadband Router £37.86 click here

Sam Witch 14:14 06 Jan 2005

It will set itself up almost without work or hidden settings, as you are already networked all you need is the MAC address to let the router know what laptop is allowed access.

The connections are as simple as the ethernet cable from your modem plugs in to the router, install software from driver disk, power on, log on to the router (simple instructions in box Linksys anyway) and you are off.

Then go to the web site look at the more involved security settings and investigate adding additional security to the wireless link or your neighbours will be surfing on your connection.

MAC address is OK for simple security, you DO need additional security options.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?