ntl pop up

madman78 16:50 24 Sep 2003

I clicked on internet explorer and a message from ntl says that i need to download a patch from a link on that page. It identified my computer as being infected by a virus. has any one else expreienced this message?

Thanks

Tim1964 17:23 24 Sep 2003

Haven't come across it myself (NTL BB) but it sounds similar to the MS email worm. The one that says 'click on this link to download patch', which of course is totally FAKE. My advice would be run a AV scan, use Adaware and/or Search and destroy to see if that clears it.

Good Luck

obbit 19:08 24 Sep 2003

madman78. have you got any anti-virus software?

what Operating system are you using?

howard60 20:19 24 Sep 2003

ntl have gone overboard with this virus patch. I had a problem and they would not even put me through to the help desk until I proved to them that I had the patch. I cant wait for my year to be up and go over to good old BT - oh I never thought I would say that.

R4 20:39 24 Sep 2003

Have you got a firewall and AV software running ?

Try going to Symantec security page and scan for virus's ... click here

Or MS update site for info etc. ..click here

madman78 23:15 24 Sep 2003

i got through to ntl and one of thier employees in the faults section told me to download the three files, run them and then leave my Pc on for about three hours and restart which would then able me to be back online. as yoo can see my three hours are up and im back online. I wasn't to sure if this site was genuine which is why I had to find out first beacause they also said i was sent an email to my outlook express warning me which i never got.

Im runnin windows XP

thanks for your comments

Andsome 07:49 25 Sep 2003

With the workload that these virus's have caused to helplines, it makes sense for NTL to 'go overboard' as you put it. There is little sense in an operator wasting time trying to correct a problem, only to find that it is being caused by a virus that they had previously warned you against. Well done NTL for making customers well aware of a potential problem, and pointing them in the direction of a solution.

pinka 07:59 25 Sep 2003

not very often youll hear that . i too cant wait until my years up .

Andsome 08:12 26 Sep 2003

How on earth can anyone complain about an ISP trying to protect their customers, even if it needs spending a few minutes doing what the warning says? What will satisfy some people??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone