NTL connection problems

WaiKent 11:16 21 Oct 2003

i have NTL broadband and for some reason, sometimes (not frequent though) my connection just doesnt work and i cant browse web or anything and then after an hour or so it goes back to normal. I used correct connect to test my connection but it says connection fine then cannot determine IP. why does it do this.

Pesala 11:45 21 Oct 2003

I found the best way to get reconnected to NTL is to unplug the USB modem, wait a few seconds, then plug it back in again. I removed Correct Connect as about all it does it test your connection to tell you if it is working. A simple ping command can do the same thing much quicker. I have an icon with the properties:

C:\WINDOWS\PING.EXE click here

If the connection is good, it confirms this in a about five seconds. If not, it takes about 30 seconds.

If all else fails, I reboot my PC, which nearly always re-establishes a connection.

WaiKent 11:49 21 Oct 2003

the thing is i reboot it like a hundred times and no connection until it sorts itself out. lol. although havent tried unplugging modem before. will try that. thanks for help

keith-236785 11:51 21 Oct 2003

have you checked the server status

go to ntlworld.com, in the purple bar, click help/check server status. it should tell you if there is/was a problem in your area (not much good if you cant get on the internet i know)

Personally i dont use the correct connect software as it was always saying there were problems. i just used the cd to install the usb drivers for the modem.

i would guess your problem is with correct connect but only removing it will tell, choice is yours.

good luck and sorry i cant be of more help

vienna1981 13:19 21 Oct 2003

yep server status is the best bet the freephone number is 0800 052 4315 i know that ntl have been having browser problems lately. also siwtching your modem off at the mains for a few minutes then switching on again sometimes helps

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?