NTL Cable modem and network connection

shnookumshnum 16:05 01 Jan 2006

Hi all

I am fairly new to networking so please bare with me...

I have 2 PC's 1 desktop one laptop, I used to connect them both using a crossover cable so I could share files and printers.
I then got Wanadoo broadband and the cable modem connected to the Desktop PC via the PC's USB port, this meant that I could then still run the network AND share the broadband connection on the laptop.

Now my problem is this,
I now have NTL broadband via a cable modem which connects to the desktop PC's ethernet port, so now I cannot run the laptop via the desktop to share files and folders or the broadband connection.

I have heard that if I buy a 2 port HUB I can then run the desktop and laptop and share files and printers AND connect the HUB to the cable modem via the crossover cable. Is this what I need??? as I am really not sure about networks...

I know that I can buy a USB a2B cable and connect the broadband modem via USB and run the network via the crossover cable as I did when i had Wanadoo broadband, though some people have told me that connecting BB via USB can slow down the connection (1MB) and put pressure on the processor (2.4ghz) thus slowing the computer down.

Which connection method should I go for

Thanks for your help

bremner 16:28 01 Jan 2006

You would be best served with a router click here

Connect the modem to the router and then each computer to the router with a straight through cable (NOT a crossover cable).

This will enable efective file sharing and internet access.

mgmcc 16:52 01 Jan 2006

As already suggested, a router is the ideal solution. Each computer then has internet access quite independently from the other.

However, you could use your original setup by installing a second network adapter in the PC so that one connects to the Cable Modem and the second runs the "crossover" connection to the laptop.

Forget the "hub" idea. You either use a router or Internet Connection Sharing - anything else and, because the ISP only allocates one IP address, only one computer will get online.

shnookumshnum 17:56 01 Jan 2006

Thanks for your help people I am greatful.

Noone has mentioned the desktop to modem via USB and desk and lap via crossover, is this not a good idea??

bremner 18:24 01 Jan 2006

The problem with this kind of set up is the desktop has to be on for the laptop to connect to the internet. For £25 the router setup offers much greater flexibility.

The suggestion that the processor/connection would slow down with a USB connection is in my experience without foundation.

mgmcc 21:17 01 Jan 2006

<<< Noone has mentioned the desktop to modem via USB and desk and lap via crossover, is this not a good idea?? >>>

I assumed that for some reason you wanted to maintain an ethernet connection to the cable modem. There is nothing to stop you from reverting to a USB connection for your modem and then restoring your "crossover" link with Internet Connection Sharing to the second PC. You'd then be back to the same arrangement as you had before.

As "bremner" says, I'm also not aware of any reason why a USB connection should slow down your connection. USB 1.1 has a data transfer speed of 12Mbps compared to the relatively slow speed (in networking terms) of your broadband connection at only 1Mbps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?