NTL Broadband wont start until 9am

Air_Man 11:21 05 May 2007

Now this may be a coincidence, but the last two days (fri and sat) I have tried to get onto my NTL broadband (cable) from 7:45am on Fri and 8:30am today.

Both times - no joy(no Sync & Ready LEDs lit). However, on Thurs, at 8:59am it connected and worked fine all day. Today, it started at 9:01am.

To my mind, this is very suspicious. Has anyone else come across anything similar with NTL (now Virgin) cable broadband. I am on the "L" (4Mbps) service and it has been brilliant for 4 years. Recently I am getting more and more failed connections and dropouts.

But anywyay, its the 9am thing that's most bizarre.

jack 11:51 05 May 2007

Server maintenance perchance?
If rail maintenance can 'Overrun' why not a server?

birdface 12:06 05 May 2007

What firewall have you got, Also try Control panel,Administrative tools, Services,Scroll down to DNS Client make sure it is set to Automatic,

birdface 12:14 05 May 2007

Problems in Reading for a couple of days ,but that was all I could find,

brundle 12:29 05 May 2007

If the modem/router lights aren't lit up you could faff with the PC all day but won't get anywhere;

NTL service status page; click here

setecio 14:37 05 May 2007

Indeed, as brundle says, if the sync and ready lights are not on then it is an NTL issue, unless there is an ability to set time controls on the ntl modem or on your account - ring them and ask, but that is usually something that you would do yourself on a router (which would be irrelevant in this case with your lights not on)

Air_Man 21:08 05 May 2007

Thx all. Checked Buteman's response. Yep -set to auto. Maybe coincidence. I'll keep an eye on it.

Thx again. Will post back on developments.

Air_Man 17:49 06 May 2007

Ok, worked fine this morning.

I'm still gonna keep and eye on it though (as it is certainly having problems getting some web pages).

Thx for the help everyone.

freaky 18:00 06 May 2007

I very occasionally find the NTL Modem lights are not all on i.e. ENET DS SYNC RDY. If I unplug the power supply for 2 minutes, then re-connect it works OK. How old is the Modem ?

Air_Man 09:20 02 Jun 2007

This has happened 3 times in 5 days this week, and at various hours - although each time was in the morning after first boot).

Finally rang NTL twice this week, and they sent an engineer out yesterday. He took one look at the four year old 1200 modem (which at the time was working perfectly) and just replaced it with a new one. Job done he says. Tested the speed and signal strength, and since I had too much signal, he fitted a conditioning filter and tested again. Speedtest.net showed 3972 kbps downstream, and since I'm on a "L" a.k.a. 4Mbps, its pretty much spot on.

Anyway, only time will tell if it has actually solved the problem I was having, and I am trying to find some software that will monitor the connection whenever the computer is on.

Thx for all the help, and I hope this helps others.

birdface 13:12 02 Jun 2007

Glad that you have finally got it sorted,It has taken a while.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?