NTL broadband installation. HELP!

cdb 15:19 05 Sep 2003

A friend is trying to install NTL broadband and it isn't working.
Every time you log on know you get this problem.

Problem with Virtual Truck every restart
In some circumstances (believed to be associated with previous failed installations that did not run to normal completion), on every restart, Windows asks for:

Insert CDRom.
Please insert your CDRom with the Virtual Truck program. Looking for file:
E:\INSTALLS\TERAETH\VTRUCK.EXE

The name of the file requested may differ in detail. Even after inserting the CD-ROM, the PC continues to make the same request on every restart. To repair this situation under Windows 98/ME:

Click Start, click Run.
Enter msconfig and click OK.
Click tab Win.ini to bring it to the front.
Click the [+] sign beside [windows] to expand this item.
If you see an entry run= involving \vtagent\reboot.exe, then uncheck it.
Click OK to exit the System Configuration Utility.

I did the solution, but it comes back everytime.

If you ignore that and press on with the installation, the disc tries to check for the minimun system requirements then "VTruvkDbg.exe encounters an error and has to shut down" end of installation.
I tried doing a system restore to a point before they first tried, incase there's a failed installation problem, but I need to install the Blasterworm patch to do that. Guess what, it won't install "cryptographic services error" I've done all the checks and dll fixes I've been told, but no luck. So I don't even try to install NTL at that point as chances are They'll get the virus when they go on line.

How can you manually install the modem drivers? I've been to the NTL site but am still not sure what to do. I downloaded a driver "5100_WHQL" I unzipped it but there's no sign of an installer. At which point in the manual set up do I plug in the usb? I did plug it in once and a network connection came up, but it wouldn't access the internet. Getting no where fast.
Any help welcome. The friend has an HP 2000xp amd 256meg 40gHD and windows XP
How do you check to see what version of xp you have ie sp1 or not?

SEASHANTY 15:34 05 Sep 2003

Suggest that you read up on robin D H Walker's webpages on NTL Broadband from click here

SEASHANTY 15:36 05 Sep 2003

As to whether or not you have SP1 installed the Belard Advisor will tell you this. Download this free PC utility from click here

hugh-265156 15:38 05 Sep 2003

for the microsoft updates and patches to work set cryptographic services to automatic in:control panel/administrative tools/services

double click cryptographic services and from the start up type drop down box choose automatic and restart the computer.

you will need to run the ntl install cd only once to register and set up the modem,once its installed you can then remove correctconnect and the rest of ntl software.even after a reinstallation of windows the ntl cd is not required again.

click here says you can do this manually(you may have already read this) i have not tried it myself.

cdb 15:48 05 Sep 2003

SEASHANTY - I've read that already but it doesn't make it clear. Do I plug the usb in then do the settings?
Downloaded the belarc advisor, will check their pc later.

Huggyg71 Tried the cryptographic thing already, it's on but I'm being told it isn't. The CD won't run, like I said it crashes (VTruckDbg.exe) when it tries to check the system.

Thanks so far.
Any more?

SEASHANTY 16:09 05 Sep 2003

cdb - Thought that robin d'd site may just give you some help. My NTL 600 BB has been up and running perfectly since last October. It was set up by the NTL engineer who said it was far easier to use ethernet than USB. He did not utilise the setup CD from NTL. Its still in the box unused - just as he left it. Believe that USB sometimes causes conflicts due to drivers being required but have no first hand knowledge of this. Ethernet setup does not require any drivers. Maybe easier to go via this route if you can.

cdb 16:11 05 Sep 2003

I have the 1meg setup myself. I installed it with the cd first time, no probs, but my friends pc is having non of it. :(

cdb 19:22 05 Sep 2003

^bump^

Andybear 19:40 05 Sep 2003

On the NTL service status page for today it says:

Broadband Internet - Registration
ntl home broadband customers may currently be unable to complete registration at this time due to a technical fault.

Our engineers are aware of the issue and are working towards a resolution as soon as possible.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.

You can find it here
click here

Andsome 19:50 05 Sep 2003

NTL broadband help is the cost of a local call by telephone, and I have always found the staff to be very knowledgable and helpful. 0845 650 0121

dfghjkl 19:54 05 Sep 2003

second that,very,very,quick and helpful,not like any other service.give them a ring.they will sort it for you

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?