NTL Broadband help needed

lee_robinson1983 14:46 04 Apr 2006

Hi,

There will soon be 2 pcs in my house and we are going to go on NTL broadband for the first time, the NTL man is coming round soon to set it up but said we need a wireless router and connector? to get both on broadband.

The other computer is closer to the phone line so I'm assuming this one will have the router? my computer has 2 x 10/100/1000 gigabit LAN ports (1 port on A8N-SLI SE) network facilities, will I need an adaptor or a card?

Can anyone please recommend?

Cheers, Lee

mgmcc 16:45 04 Apr 2006

I assume that you mean "Cable" broadband, because NTL provide both Cable and ADSL (via the phone line) services. The distinction is very important because it dictates the type of router that you would use.

Essentially, to share the broadband connection you do need a router. It is possible to connect the two PCs directly and use Windows' built-in Internet Connection Sharing, but this is not ideal - the connections can be unreliable and the "Host" PC which connects directly with the modem must be running for the "Client" PC to have internet access. A router is definitely the preferred option.

With a router, both computers connect directly to it and get their internet access over the LAN from the router. With a "wireless" router, the connections can be by ethernet cable or wireless or a mixture of both. Often one PC is located close enough to the router to use a cable connection. With a laptop, a "wireless" connection gives it portability and, with a PC that is too far from the router for cabling to be practical, it can also benefit from a "wireless" connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?