NTL Broadband doesn't find geocities.com

Micklemass 20:02 24 Nov 2003

I recently changed to NTL with no problems. Now in Internet Explorer I am unable to access click here. Have Norton anti virus but have run without this and re loaded NTL Broadband. Saw somewhere a problem with a proxy setting. Any ideas?

Pesala 20:44 24 Nov 2003

I am on NTL and can access the home page OK, presume that you can too. Do you mean that your having problems uploading stuff to your website with NTL? A common problem is using Uppercase in passwords or user names. NTL ONLY USES lowercase.

howard60 20:57 24 Nov 2003

I am on NTL and just enter the web site and it goes staight in.

canard 22:31 24 Nov 2003

Same here and it worked when on Norton AV.

Micklemass 08:56 25 Nov 2003

Perhaps should have said that any site through geocities doesn't appear and just goes back to the current page. I have a site click here which is hosted through geocities which I am unable to access although as you mention others including my son on NTL have no problems with.

Do you use the NTL Correct Connect? On the Repair/Snapshot and Restore/View Settings does it show proxy enabled or not.

keith-236785 11:14 25 Nov 2003

i had no problem accessing both the "click here" links, i am on NTL 150k B/B, use AVG and Zone alarm.

Micklemass mentions correct connect, correct connect is a royal pain in the behind and will not ever darken my computer again.

Sethhaniel 14:45 10 Dec 2003

Hi
In Hartlepool -four different users on NTL broadband cannot access Geocities for well over a week now - as my pages and friends are on Geocities I have to use either friends with BT or the local Library server to update pages -
Is it sour grapes on NTL's part because BT HAS MERGED WITH YAHOO

SEASHANTY 15:12 10 Dec 2003

On NTL BB. Link just brings up the Yahoo hosting page for websites with a reference to geocities. Even typing geocities.com doesn't bring up any link. Just says page not found. Very strange! Typing
"coping with cancer org uk" into the google search bar brings up scores of websites but perhaps not the geocities link. I did not explore them all.

Micklemass 16:29 10 Dec 2003

My Thanks to Sethaniel and Seashanty thought it was only me. Waiting for 4 days for reply from NTL helpline!!

Valvegrid 17:55 10 Dec 2003

Just a thought, do a search for a file called 'Hosts' it will be in your windows folder somewhere and open it with notepad and see if there is any reference to Geocities there, if there is post back what it says.

Paul.

Valvegrid 17:57 10 Dec 2003

Forgot to say, I'm on NTL BB and have no problem with your link to Geocities.

Paul.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?