ntl Broadband: connecting temporarily to other PC

ChrisE 09:12 11 Jan 2006

I have ntl Broadband and my PC is connected to an 'ntl:home' modem via USB. At the moment I'm setting up a new laptop for my daughter and it would be very useful if I could connect the laptop temporarily to my ntl Broadband connection. Can I just plug the cable into one of the USB connections on the laptop (as somebody told me) or do I need to install a driver first (ambitcm?) and if so how do I do that?

Chris_E

recap 09:22 11 Jan 2006

If you are intending to use only the laptop at the time of connection? I would think you would have to set it up as you did with the main PC as a stand alone connection.

You could however, connect them as a network either hardwired or wirelessly.

ChrisE 09:35 11 Jan 2006

Thank you for the advice, but unfortunately my PC doesn't have a network connection.
If I set it up as I did with the main PC I'm worried that I might have problems after connecting and using it again with rhe main PC.

Chris_E

beynac 10:23 11 Jan 2006

I don't know the answer, but it may be worth posting the question on the ntl user's forum click here

007al 11:14 11 Jan 2006

Do you have any free sockets on the modem?

JYPX 11:57 11 Jan 2006
  ChrisE 12:07 11 Jan 2006

Thank you all for your advise, especially JYPX who provided a solution (it obviously worked for you?)... and yes I did 'Search forum' but this link didn't turn up (NTL -> ntl?).

Chris_E

JYPX 12:35 11 Jan 2006

Yes ChrisE, I just did it the once. All I did was install the ambit driver from my original ntl cd. I confess that I am a little wary of constant switching until I see somthing from ntl about this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone