ntl anti-virus

Ferrari-Fan 10:06 05 Feb 2006

My mcafee virus scan has just run out and as I am an ntl customer was considering using their free anti-virus package.

Is this a good option, or should I be considering one of the other free anti virus packages such as avg?

ps.... once my Mcafee has run out and I am no longer receiving updates from them, is my virus scan actually still working, but not able to detect new threats, or does it stop working altogether?

rawprawn 10:11 05 Feb 2006

Your McAfee will still work but it will be hopelessly out of date and next to useless.
I'm sorry I do not know about NTL free AV.
Avast and AVG are excellent free AV's and Zone Alarm as a firewall
click here
click here
click here

freaky 18:32 05 Feb 2006

I am also an NTL user and considered Netguard, put a post on the subject about a month ago - do a search on Netguard.

I installed the program but found when playing games - it increased by 6X the time taken to save a game !

Contacted NTL but they said that they were not aware of the problem. Eventually I replaced it with AVG and had no more problems. I also installed the Kerio Firewall which is excellent.

Ferrari-Fan 00:50 06 Feb 2006

thanks freaky.
have read your previous post and was helpfull.

Skyver 00:57 06 Feb 2006

It's like the Telewest version; if it crashes and stuffs your PC it's an absolute pain to get things up and running again - it did for me and I've never had that particular problem with AVG or Avast.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017