NTL ADSL & Linksys WAG54GS

g0slp 09:34 04 Nov 2006

I got a Linksys WAG54GS from PCW yesterday - nice bit of kit. Good price at present too.

I disconnected my existing ADSL modem (USB type)& set up the router; all went well & I got reestablished on the Net. I then started setting up the network side of the router. For some reason I didn't seem to be able to get this operational, but I'm not too worried about this at present, because the Internet connection has failed & I need to get this sorted out first.

I'm back on the old modem for now, but would appreciate any advice on where I've gone wrong. I've already tried to do a reinstall, but with no luck. I'm certain it's operator error (!), but what? I've got NTL's (limited) notes; no specified DNS server, no cloned MAC address, the IP Address is dynamic.

Any useful help/hints offered will be most welcome. Thanks in advance.

dms05 10:39 04 Nov 2006

Can you confirm you are using a standard ADSL copper wire connection and not a NTL cable connection? They need different equipment. The Linksys WAG54GS is a standard ADSL modem router.

Take a look at another thread on this forum click here

g0slp 10:59 04 Nov 2006

Hi dms05

Yes, it's the ADSL kit that I've got. As I say, I did get it going, but for some reason it then stopped...

g0slp 14:02 04 Nov 2006

Well, I've managed to get Internet access again, although I haven't a definite reason as to why that should be so. (I did a System Restore to the point just after I did the initial installation).

Next problem is that I can't get wireless connection to another computer - it says that it's connected to the router, but not the 'Net?

Will tick this one as resolved & see if anything comes to light with this next problem. Linksys' site isn't helping (yet).

Strawballs 18:02 04 Nov 2006

It could be a firewall problem

g0slp 22:38 04 Nov 2006

Strawballs

Thanks for your interest. I suspected that too, but it still wouldn't link up after disabling. (Not the best solution, I know!)> Anyway, it didn't do the trick, so firewall reactivated & fired off an email to Linksys. Reply promised by Monday, so we'll see.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?