NTFS.SYS and BSOD

orsta 18:36 13 Oct 2010

I have been suffering from the above for a couple of days. After a bit of goggling, the advice seemed to be to clear out junk, run a reg cleaner and run check disk, with both options ticked. This I have done, but it has made things worse. I can no longer see my Network/USB drive (LaCie Network Space2).

I am currently running an Acronis backup to a portable drive before running memtest and an Mbam/Hitman scans.

Should I bother with memtest or anti nasty scans, or just swap my hard drive for another?

Any thoughts.

The machine is about 3 yrs old.
Vista all up to date.
4 GB ram

c

recap 18:57 13 Oct 2010

In the BSOD error message there is a sting of number/text write this down and do a Google search,or post it here, somebody may be able to help you.

orsta 19:01 13 Oct 2010

Unfortunately the BSOD message goes to quickly for me to write anything down, getting old I guess. It took about five restarts before I found out about NTFS.SYS and despite requesting dump files, none are created.

c

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:33 15 Oct 2010

Ntfs.sys missing or corrupt error message click here

orsta 19:42 15 Oct 2010

Thanks Fruit Bat, it appears that a thunderbird was not being released from memmory properly. any way sorted that out, but now getting a series of other BSOD messages relating to:
WDF01000.SYS (replaced this file from a backup)
and BAD_POOL_CALLER 0x20 and 0xC2 messages.

Having Googled these, am now running memtest 86+ (nearly 3 hrs in) and no problems reported, Windows memory checker gave a clean bill of health also. Next I'll try chkdsk again (it gave a clean bill of health 2 days ago.

I have already taken out the gigabit ethernet card I installed earlier, been running it without probs, and check all cards are fitted correctly.

The main cause of the BAD_POOL messages seems to be running Roboform from within Firefox or Internet Explorer. Again these ran OK a few days ago.

Will try a new hard disk tomorrow, I have a spare. If that fails a 10lb lump hammer......!!

c

orsta 18:55 16 Oct 2010

It's looking good.

After a good nights rest and forgettting the lump hammer I attacked the comp a fresh this moning.

Started from scratch.
Fixed four new problems flagged in Device Manager with sfc /scannow
Stumbled throughh three BSOD's,
BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER Stop: 0X0fe
Memory_Managment Stop 0x0A
CBUFS.sys (Comodo Back Up)

Uninstalled Comodo Back Up and hey presto. After six hours of use and restarts It seems to be working OK.

Keeping fingers crossed.

c

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?