NTFS vs FAT32

mammak 21:10 22 Mar 2006

Just noticed that my four month old laptop acer aspire 3003LMI 80GB HDD, 512DDR, DVD Dual, bla bla "Windows XP Home" has a partitions with FAT 32 as the file system Acer(C:)Acerdata(D:)and of course DVD-RWDrive(E:) I backup to DVD so wont use the (D:) Drive so at this late time could I change this and how? all my other pcs are NTFS with a typical (C:) Drive ect so my point is I have loads of music, photos that are being stored in my (C:) drive so my (D:)drive is not being used so my lappies has been cut in half lol.

VoG II 21:17 22 Mar 2006
  mammak 21:34 22 Mar 2006

VoG™ thanks no problen your side I am sure but your "click here" my age old problem "page cannot be displayed" I cannot Imagine being able to go back to one partition but would I be able to convert to NTFS, and then be able to use my (D:) drive for storage?

Mikè 21:40 22 Mar 2006

Try this click here same page as Vog's

mammak 21:44 22 Mar 2006

thanks for your input but still "page cannot be displayed"sorry

Mikè 21:46 22 Mar 2006

I think it tells you in windows help files how to convert to NTFS, not running XP so can't check.

Monument 21:48 22 Mar 2006

Both links work fine for me. You could just type 'convert ntfs' into your Windows help and it will tell you how to do it

mammak 21:51 23 Mar 2006

Thanks all who have posted but yet again have not been able to get on to PCA for about 24 hrs had to uninstall all references to Yahoo before I could get on here so I will try again anyone can I change my file system to NTFS please dont give me a "click here" as I with the problems I have been having for ever wont be able to display the page so how to do it in straight forword text would be good.
in hope mammak
ps I might not be able to get back to you for a year or so lol (and it is not funny)

VoG II 21:56 23 Mar 2006

To convert a FAT partition to NTFS, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
2. At the command prompt, type CONVERT driveletter: /FS:NTFS.
3. Convert.exe attempts to convert the partition to NTFS.
While Convert is running, you may receive the following error message:
Convert cannot gain exclusive access to the driveletter:, so it cannot convert it now. Would you like to schedule it to be converted the next time the system restarts (Y/N)?
You receive this error message under any of the following three conditions: • If you run the CONVERT command while the current directory is on the drive that is to be converted (for example, if you type CONVERT F: /FS:NTFS at the F:\> prompt).

To resolve this, either click Yes in the error message and then restart the computer, or change to a directory on another drive and retype the command.
• If a program has a file open on the drive that is to be converted.

To resolve this, either click Yes in the error message and let the drive be converted next time the computer is restarted, or close any programs that may be using files on the drive. Remember that this also applies to users who connect to files over the network and to a paging file that resides on the drive.
• If you attempt to convert the partition from which the operating system is running.

It is not possible to convert the boot partition while the operating system is running. To convert the boot partition, it is always necessary to run the CONVERT command, click Yes in the error message, and then restart the computer. The partition is converted the next time the computer is restarted. As an alternative, you can start the computer in an installation of Windows XP that is on a different partition, and convert the boot partition from that installation of Windows XP.
For additional information about the differences between the FAT and NTFS file systems, along with the advantages and disadvantages of each, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
100108 (click here) Overview of FAT, HPFS, and NTFS File Systems

mammak 22:11 23 Mar 2006

Cheers vog have saved your post will try that ok while I am still here. thanks again

sunny staines 11:43 24 Mar 2006

NTFS is better. Only drawback cannot get NTFS drivers for LS-120 disks but not many people use these.
FAT systems tend to crash more in my experience.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?