NTFS v FAT 32

oldbeefer2 13:00 14 Nov 2004

I'm about to re-install Windows XP Home on my confuser, and believe I have the choice of which of the two subject formats to go for. Advice on how to choose would be much appreciated. Currently running FAT 32 on XP that was upgraded from 98. Have now bought a new XP + SP2 CD Rom for a fresh install (I'm suspicious about the origin of the earlier upgrade disc). Thanks, Richard

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:29 14 Nov 2004

NTFS = more compact method of storing files less HDD space wasted. Disadvntage = No going back once converted without a total reformat of the drive. Op systems prior to XP will not be able to access files on an NTFS HDD.

If you are going to stick with XP then go NTFS.

Jeffers22 13:43 14 Nov 2004

NTFS is inherently a more secure file system and has an advantage of not limiting the file size to a max of 2Gb. In my opinion, using NTFS in the partition where your OS resides is overkill for the home user who does not really need the sort of file system security that is built in. In fact if you have a subsequent problem it can make it much harder to sort out for the non expert. If you want to work with video editing, the unlimited file size of NTFS would be an advantage, in which case I would partition and put XP on FAT32 and have a huge Data partition that is NTFS.

VoG II 14:19 14 Nov 2004

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?