NTFS or FAT32 for data storage

johnem 15:42 20 May 2006

Afternoon all,
Back for some more help. I am currently running a older version of XP Pro, and am just about to embark on a new installation. At present my master hard drive has 2 off 20Gig partitions and I intend to install only Windows on the C drive and will be formating this to NTFS. On the D drive I intend to install the documents etc, should this be re-formatted to NTFS or left as FAT32. All of the programmes are going to be installed on a partition of the slave hard drive. Should this partition be NTFS or left as FAT32. My thinking behind this is that I can then utilise Acronis to make a bootable CD copy of the windows installation to enable an easier re-install, if ever required. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

woodchip 15:45 20 May 2006

See hear for my explanation

click here

Chris-347369 15:45 20 May 2006

I've always had it drummed into me that NTFS has many advantages over FAT32 and the only reason you'd ever want a FAT32 partition is if you ever needed to view it using older operating systems like Win98

johnem 16:24 20 May 2006

Thanks Woodchip and Pyroxide for your speedy replies. From the info I think I will just format the C drive NTFS and leave all of the rest as FAT32.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?