NTFS AND FAT32

the old man 18:57 28 Nov 2003

I have just installed a new 80gig hdd (slave) to my system with the aid of seagate's diskwizard2003. In properties of the new drive, it has been set up as NTFS and is drive D. The original drive C.(master) has XP upgrade from win98se and is 20gig and formatted in fat32. will this cause problems? new hdd is not partitioned yet i dont think. have read other threads about fat32 and ntfs but don't really answer my question. four members of family use the computer for word processing, games, internet, e-mails.
advice needed.

Diodorus Siculus 19:04 28 Nov 2003

The FAT32 partition will not be able to see the NTFS partitions/disks. As you are running XP, why not convert the FAT32 to NTFS as well; it is a simple process (but ensure that you backup beforehand in case of any problems)?

VoG II 19:07 28 Nov 2003

I can't foresee a problem. However, you could always convert your C drive to NTFS - it is painless.

Start, All Programs/Accessories/Command Prompt.

Type in

convert C: /fs:ntfs

and press Enter.

recap 19:09 28 Nov 2003

click here and read jazzypop posting it may shed some more light on the subject for you?

the old man 20:17 28 Nov 2003

Done as you suggested but keep getting message which says:-
the type of the file system is fat32.
enter current volume label for drive c:

Diodorus Siculus 20:42 28 Nov 2003

current volume label - the is the name of the drive - check its properties to find out what it is.

bvw in bristol 21:11 28 Nov 2003

I had a similar problem with the drive C name.

Found it easier to right click the C drive in My Computer and delete the name. Windows then renames it Local Disk and it then converts OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?