NTFS to FAT

johndavis 21:20 17 Sep 2006

I have a Media player har disk device that is new. However, the disk formatted as NTFS (It did not offer me another choice). I now find that although the drive works fine as an external disk, the stand alone media player functions require FAT16 or FAT32.
I am not worries about losing any files, in fact I got rid of them all.
Is there an easy (cheap) way to reformat as FAT.

I have Windows XP.

ArrGee 21:21 17 Sep 2006
  Strawballs 21:23 17 Sep 2006

Windows 98 startup disc fdisk it then formatt FAT32 "FAT16" you are going back a long way now!!!

Strawballs 21:29 17 Sep 2006

John does ASL mean anything to you?

woodchip 22:00 17 Sep 2006

You have to first remove the partition information before you can do anything. With this click here download the free version. you can then use a Win98se Boot disc from click here tenth file down after downloading it, put a blank floppy in drive and double click on the download.

ed-0 22:10 17 Sep 2006

Does the player show up in disk management as a removable device?

Thats > right click my computer > manage > disk management and now look in the new right hand window.

If it does, right click on the bar and pick delete logical drive. This should give a bar of un-allocated spoace.

Right click on this and pick " new logical drive ". Follow the wizard and when it gets to pick which kind of format you want, pick fat32.click here Follow the wizard to the end.

woodchip 22:25 17 Sep 2006

Did not know you could do that with it. As I use Acronis Disc Director Suit 10

ed-0 22:32 17 Sep 2006

You can't do the "C" drive, obviously but you can do partitions and external devices.

I have Acronis Disc Director Suit 10, excellent programmne. It works on "C" as no other does.

woodchip 22:34 17 Sep 2006

Yes and never seen anything as fast at creating and formating partitions

johndavis 23:41 30 Jan 2007

Thanks for all yor help. I got help from the supplier so it took me a while to check back here as I had success. They said use "Swiss Knife" and it worked in the sense that it allowed me to re-format from scratch the blank disk (losing all the files, but I was not bothered!).

By the way "ASL" means nothing special to me!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?