NTFS on all disk or not

johnem 23:56 28 Jan 2007

At the moment my "C" drive is formatted to NTFS and my other drives are FAT32. Running windows XP Pro SP2. The other drives have programs, data and backup files on them. Would it be more efficient to convert them all to NTFS or is there a reason to leave them alone?

Stuartli 00:00 29 Jan 2007

I have a partition on my hard drive which is still FAT32 - I can use it to install programs etc it contains on my main partition with no problems.

johnem 00:06 29 Jan 2007

High Stuartli, am I right in thinking that although I use Acronis to create a full backup of "C" which is NTFS and then store this on a seperate drive that is FAT32, there shouild be no compatibilty issues? Just wondered if it was worth convert=ing all partitions etc?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:34 29 Jan 2007

other drives have programs, data and backup files on them.

If your main system goes down you can boot from a dos disk and easily acess files on the FAT drives.

If one of these drive contins "recovery" files for your PC to restore to factory settings, then you must leave that as FAT.

johnem 20:29 29 Jan 2007

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\, long past factory recovery as machine was originally on ME. But take your point, so i will leave as is. Thank you for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?