NT Authority

€dstowe 11:39 07 Jun 2004

I have been getting the NT Authority close down shenanigins on one on our machines this morning. The machine in question has all the protection against Blaster and other nasties and I've run Stinger + AVG which have found nothing untoward.

Are there are any legitimate circumstances where the NT Authority notification is used?

The machine was running quite warm and seemed to be working at a slowish rate.

€d

ste_bla 12:01 07 Jun 2004

im not sure about it however i know you can stop it by running but if its not a virus then maybe you shouldnt stop it..

START > RUN

shoutdown -a

prehaps stop it and run a online scaner such as norton

ste_bla 12:01 07 Jun 2004

im not sure about it however i know you can stop it by running but if its not a virus then maybe you shouldnt stop it..

START > RUN

shoutdown -a

prehaps stop it and run a online scaner such as norton

€dstowe 13:19 07 Jun 2004

I'd already done a Stinger scan + Adaware, Spybot S&D and AVG 7 Pro - updated this a.m.

I've now done a Trend Housecall scan and it comes out as clean.

The whole incident seems to have ended now and everything appears OK.

I am still curious though whether the NT Authority does have a legit use say, for example, as a protection if a system is running too hot.

€d

Djohn 14:11 07 Jun 2004

Did you remember to turn off system restore before the scan? I don't think any of the scans can gain access to these files and it will show up as clean on a normal scan.

If the problem returns, turn off sys. restore and scan again then enable sys. restore and make a manual restore point. j.

€dstowe 14:18 07 Jun 2004

Thanks Djohn - I did forget to turn off SR.

However the machine appears to be going AOK at the moment so, fingers crossed! It's so irritating when these inexplicable niggles come up like this.

If it comes to the crunch, I can always restore from last Friday's backup but, obviously, would prefer not to be bothered by this.

€d

Graham ® 14:31 07 Jun 2004

Sure it's not the Blaster worm?

click here

Graham ® 14:33 07 Jun 2004

Click the link to Microsoft.

Djohn 14:42 07 Jun 2004

Not absolutely sure on this €d but if "Blaster or Sasser" has managed to creep on to your system then I believe it can get into any/all files even within system restore. It's just the Virus scan engines that can't get in to check.

If the problem returns then disable system restore [Nothing will be lost except for the restore points]. Scan again then as above make a manual restore point immediately afterwards.

I know that you make regular backups but as you say, it would be better if you can just get rid of any uninvited guest without resorting to one of your backups. Good luck, Lets hope it was a false alarm.

Regards. j.

i had it and i downloaded ms blast patch from norton that solved problem is it the one were you get 30 seconds b 4 you r whole systerm shuts down

€dstowe 16:11 07 Jun 2004

Everything seems to be running OK at the moment so I'll leave it for now and if it does return, I'll do the necessary.

If it is Blaster or Sasser, I really can't understand how it got into the machine. It's fairly new and has all the necessary updates and patches.

Oh well, I'll close this now. Thanks for the advice, guys.

€d

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017