novel 'happenings' with a web site; vanished!!

p;3 20:20 13 Jun 2007

can anyone have a stab at explaining this? I cannot link TO the web site as it apparently does not exist; BUT both my mailwasher and my OE WILL log in to the web mail bit BUT the web site itself is... one does not know WHERE it is ; so can anyone tell me how my mailwasher can log into it, as I can send and get mail FROM it BUT the site itself cannot be found?

Jackcoms 20:24 13 Jun 2007

Er, what site are you talking about??

"how my mailwasher can log into it"

Mailwasher doesn't log into anything - it looks at the e-mail sitting on your ISP's servers, as does OE

p;3 20:33 13 Jun 2007

let me clarify a bit; when my BT server went off line I could NOT use mailwasher NOR connect to OE to get mails off server; another server seems to have 'gone walkies' ; BUT I can mail from within OT using it so the server must be out there somewhere .......BUT if it is apparently unopenable.... how can I still use it via my OE?

Jackcoms 20:42 13 Jun 2007

I can only assume that you've been on the grog or I'm very tired after a long day. ;-)

I still don't understand your question.

If your problem is an inability to access your e-mail, isn't this an issue to take up with your ISP?

wee eddie 20:53 13 Jun 2007

Your mail is going as far as the Outbox

Forum Editor 22:51 13 Jun 2007

completely incomprehensible - can you explain exactly what it is you're trying to do, and which mail client you're using?

Woolwell 23:30 13 Jun 2007

Am I correct in thinking that you cannot open your ISP's home page to access webmail but you can send and receive e-mails via Outlook Express and Mailwasher?

All of your e-mails are on your ISP's server(s). Whether you use webmail or OE it will go to that server to find the e-mail. There could be a problem with your ISP's website which is why you cannot see it ("it does not exist") or open it. This is likely to be temporary.

johnnyrocker 23:49 13 Jun 2007

time waster

johnny.

IClaudio 23:51 13 Jun 2007

That's clarifying it?

Snec 02:44 14 Jun 2007

p;3 09:17 14 Jun 2007

it has been a long day and night so I will tick this as resolved to save anyone else worrying about it ; a web mail page has gone missing somewhere ,; I can send and receive mail from within my OE using that address but cannot log into the server which presumbably means the server is not 'down' but moved; I am assuming the OE settings are still valid even though the web page seems to have changed address

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?