Novatech PC

Shelly49 13:02 22 Feb 2008

Would anyone happen to know whether the Isys Elite Pro as shown here:

click here

which has a 400watt PSU (according to an online chat with their sales staff), is under-powered, as most PCs come with 550 PSU?
Also is it a good buy? I am about to buy a new monitor (Samsung Syncmaster 2232BW )and my PC needs upgrading too, and I thought this would be best value for money route as opposed to the main dealers like Dell, Mesh etc.

Diemmess 13:29 22 Feb 2008

I bought a very similar model last May, partly because I could install XP on it for myself.
Few retailers of note offer XP at all.

Absolutely no snags except that the PSU 's fan was a bit noisy, and I have since changed it at my expense for a Thermaltake.

I think many contributors are over anxious about the rating of the PSU. Novatech would not fit a 400W model if they felt it wouldn't be enough. Adding every sort of peripheral later would change things.

Add to that, the certainty of fast sympathetic attention if there is a fault....
.....Bought my first laptop from them less than a month ago. It had a marginally faulty WiFi card which was replaced by return at no cost to me except a a couple of brief telephone calls diagnosing the fault.

Diemmess 13:36 22 Feb 2008

By coincidence, I bought the same Samsung monitor a little late. First class.

Shelly49 13:46 22 Feb 2008

Thanks for your insight Diemmess. I have dealt with Novatech before several times and both their service and products are very good. I just happened to notice that when I bought my last barebones from them in 2005 the standard psu was about 350watts and it has gone up to 550 presumably to cope with dual core processors and double graphics cards. I wouldn't be planning to upgrade the 8600GT as whatever games I might want to play would be well out of date, but I wouldn't want my computer to overheat or struggle for the sake of a few quid. Basically, I'm wondering if Novatech expect their customers to install a different psu if the 400 one isn't coping, or whether they expect it to cope quite easily provided there are no major additions to the spec.

pk46 13:54 22 Feb 2008

I have had Three Novatech computers no problems
my only moan on my last computer was it was shown as a MICRO ATX when i recieved it it was a full ATX as space is a little tight i could have done without this but as i said computer works fine.

Diemmess 14:32 22 Feb 2008

I had forgotten that I had fitted a little gizmo which meters the current being used. It is fitted at the master wall socket from which everything is fed (via a multiway strip)

At this moment the computer, monitor, and router together are using 132 watts which is a long way short of the original PSU's rated output of 400 watts.
The monitor and router have their own power supply but are still added in via the single socket measuring device.

The thirstiest extra is a laser printer but even that adds around 80 watts.

citadel 15:30 22 Feb 2008

the psu's that come with a case are normally noisy and inefficent wasting electricity plus there could be stabiliy issues. I would change the psu for a 600w one with the 80% + logo these are better quality and will see you through any future upgrades.

Totally-braindead 15:53 22 Feb 2008

I don't know where you get the idea that a standard power supply in a prebuilt PC is now 550 watts. If you look at any of major manufacturers, unless its a custom build, you will find 400 watts is about the norm, some big brand PCs come with maybe 350 watts.

As they stand the PCs will run perfectly. The problem comes when you add things on, in particular higher end graphics cards. Then the power supply will need replaced.

I've had a few PCs from Novatech and all are running perfectly and have done since purchase but unless you buy a custom build the power supply will be adequate as it stands but will need updated if you add more parts. And in my opinion that holds true for all manufacturers.

Buy a Novatech PC by all means but if you do add a high end graphics card the power supply will need replaced and that holds true with the branded ones as well, buy a system with a low end graphics card and you will find that if you add a high end card it will need a new power supply.
What I suppose I'm getting at is - its not just Novatech. They all do this and its part of the keeping costs down, none of them will spend an extra £30 or whatever providing a better power supply than you need as that would then make their PC £30 dearer than the opposition.

Buy whatever system you want and upgrade it to a quality branded power supply when you do upgrade the graphics etc.

Shelly49 20:49 22 Feb 2008

Thanks for the replies. I feel a lot better knowing what I do now, I suppose I must have got the "standard power supply in a prebuilt PC is now 550 watts" idea from looking at Mesh, I don't know, but anyway I'm glad to know that 400 is fine.

Totally-braindead 22:46 22 Feb 2008

I would still upgrade the power supply to a branded one personally of a higher wattage than I needed. Don't get me wrong as I said the PC as supplied will be fine but as soon as you start upgrading its a different kettle of fish. And its probably stating the obvious but its best to try to get the spec you want rather than buying a basic PC and then upgrading it bit by bit as that would in the long run cost you more.

Have you considered one of Cougars custom jobs it does give you the option of upgrading the power supply, no experience of them personally unlike Novatech but the majority of people do seem happy with their PCs. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017