Notification that Vista has completed booting up

Zak 19:24 28 Jan 2008

My friend's wife is rather hasty in starting opening applications before Windows Vista PC has finished booting up.

This results in the whole system freezing and needs to be re-started.

Is there a way that a message could be made to pop up saying "Now Ready" or a sound?

Maybe someone knows of an application to do this.

It would need to happen once everything has loaded up and the PC is ready to run.

Going for a cup of tea, checking cursor for hour glass in status bar have all been suggested and rejected.

This is the only link I found on Google for Win XP

click here

anskyber 19:40 28 Jan 2008

If there is activity the cursor revolves in a green circle, that should be enough warning, no? If she is so impatient tell her to go out for a bit to let it boot. Unless there is something wrong with the machine it should boot very quickly.

If it does not I'll bet she has all manner of programs set to start at boot which is never a great

anskyber 19:41 28 Jan 2008

Start up control click here

anskyber 19:42 28 Jan 2008

Start up control click here

anskyber 19:43 28 Jan 2008

Ooops!

Zak 20:21 02 Feb 2008

Thanks anskyber for your contributions. Conclusion same as I thought. Maybe tonight some fresh ideas?

lisa02 21:29 02 Feb 2008

Tell her to sit tight until all activity stops.

A tell tale sign is the LED on the PC base for Hard Drive activity, and a free to move cursor.

peter99co 22:05 02 Feb 2008

I always wait until all my usual icons have appeared in the Taskbar They always appear in the same order.

AlanHo 07:22 03 Feb 2008

She is going to have to learn to wait until all hard drive activity has ceased. My Vista computer continues to load AVG and check for anti-virus updates for about 30 seconds after it gives all the signs of having finished booting.

The only software I can suggest is a replacement wife with more patience

crosstrainer 08:24 03 Feb 2008

Surley a replacement wife would be a hardware replacement, and a major upgrade, not to be undertaken without a lot of thought to the consequences :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017