nothing works

keith-236134 20:11 06 Jul 2003

my son-in-law installed a cd rewrite drive and a new modem,all worked well for while.He moved the comp and it stopped working,all he gets is "Windows was unable to process the registry this may be freed by rebooting in command prompt only and running scanreg/fix.Otherwise there may not be enough free conventional memory to properly load the registry" He tried this but all he got was "Your current security setting prohibits running activeX controls on this page as a result the page may not display correctly".Can anyone please help.

Lú-tzé 20:18 06 Jul 2003

What is the Operating System? Try a reinstall for a quick solution - how will depend on your OS.

spikeychris 20:26 06 Jul 2003

What has scanreg got to do with internet options?

User-312386 20:29 06 Jul 2003

very confused here

why have you mentioned scanreg?

I think you want to enable activex

go to tools>internetoptions>security, now click on custom level and check the boxes for active x

wee eddie 20:33 06 Jul 2003

First part: appears to be related to Windows

Second part: appears to be related to Internet Explorer.

hairyplums. Could you perhaps rephrase the question and add a few details of the system upon which the problem is occurring

woodchip 20:33 06 Jul 2003

Which is not working Internet Explorer or Windows Explorer although they are linked

wee eddie 20:34 06 Jul 2003

It must be my age!

Ironman556 20:37 06 Jul 2003

I'm not sure if you mean he can get into Windows or not? Have you tried running scanreg?

Check that there are no cables loose inside, and that all the RAM and cards are firmly inserted into their slots, and havn't come loose while it was being moved.

wee eddie 20:51 06 Jul 2003

Is probably a good start on the first problem.

"Windows was unable to process the registry this may be freed by rebooting in command prompt only and running scanreg/fix.Otherwise there may not be enough free conventional memory to properly load the registry"

keith-236134 21:11 06 Jul 2003

my son-in-law installed a new modem and new cd rewrite drive it all worked until he moved the comp then everything packed up.all he gets is "WINDOWS WAS UNABLE TO PROCESS THE REGISTRY THIS MAY BE FREED BY REBOOTING IN COMMAND PROMPT ONLY AND RUNNING SCAN/FIX OTHERWISE THERE MAY NOT BE ENOUGH FREE CONVENTIONAL MEMORY TO PROPERLY LOAD THE REGISTRY" He tried this but cannot get the command prompt to boot in,all he gets when he clicks on the screen is a blank window and"YOUR CURRENT SECURITY SETTING PROHIBITS RUNNING ACTIVEX CONTROLS ON THIS PAGE AS A RESULT THE PAGE MAY NOT DISPLAY CORRECTLY".All,or most of his icons have disappeared,pushing start up does nothing,nothing works.Hes running windowsME.

woodchip 22:57 06 Jul 2003

Start with a Floppy Disc from click here start with the disc then type at A:\> SCANREG/FIX press enter and reboot without the floppy in

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?