Nothing on screen, motherboard/CPU, which faulty?

TomJerry 09:34 28 Apr 2005

I have a PC which is faulty.

When I turn it on nothing come to screen. Cooling fan spin high speed (normally it spin high, but slow down after a few seconds).

Restart button does not work.

Monitor, OK, graphics card OK, HDD, ok.

I do not have another AMD PC to check CPU because all others are Intel.

Which one is most likely faulty? Motherboard and CPU?

I will replace most likely faulty one and then go next, but want to keep it with minimum cost and time.

Any idea will be greatly appreciated. Especially your personal experience.

Technotiger 11:13 28 Apr 2005

Hi, as you have ruled-out graphics card etc, I would suggest 1st Dud PSU, 2nd Faulty RAM. It is rarely a faulty CPU.

Cheers.

goonerbill © ® 12:38 28 Apr 2005

would agree with Technotiger. check PSU first and then ram. if they checkout ok, would then think its a mobo problem rather than CPU.

after checking PSU and MEM post back results before buying new mobo, as it may be something else.

TomJerry 14:35 28 Apr 2005

psu seems ok, all light flashing, all fans running

I will go for a cheap motherboard replacement before I bin the 2400xp (not bad for kids games).

TomJerry 09:30 29 Apr 2005

I will leave the thread open for another day.

dan11 10:37 29 Apr 2005

I would strip the cpu from the HS+F and see if there is any damage. Look for smoke or even heat damage on the top of the chip. Also check the pins. Any signs around the base of the motherboard socket. This may give you a clue.

if not, then the likely hood would be a dud board. Even so, just because the PSU has the fans running, it may still be worth just "bridging" a good PSU over, just to be sure.

As you say a replacement board for the cpu is relatively cheap ( £20+ ) and might not be a bad idea. They do come with loads of extra features and usually have a decent upgrade value.

Where is your approximate location in the UK. If you are near, you could drop the 2400+ in my athlon board. Or you may be close to another member who would not mind.

dan11 10:41 29 Apr 2005

Oh, by the way, I suppose you have tried this. reseting the cmos jumper and leaving just the power connector on the board ( taking off the reset-hdd led-etc wires)

Aspman 10:52 29 Apr 2005

Little bit of logic might save you cash.

I don't think you have properly identified your problem yet.

It could be your PSU, just because the fans spin don't mean its all working. I've had this before on more than one occation.

Disconnect everything from the mobo, cpu, cards, memory, HD/CD. Then put it back together one bit at a time and try to boot with each bit in. Obviously it won't boot to windows but you should get to bios (might just be beeps before the gfx goes in).

TomJerry 12:02 29 Apr 2005

the main trouble is no Bios, when I swtich on, light flashing, fan running, this is all I get

goonerbill © ® 07:56 30 Apr 2005

just because the lights are flashing and the fans are running doesn't mean that the PSU is not at fault. an under powered PSU will give enough power to get fans running (dont know the full specs on PSU mobo connectors) and some lights but still not have enough power to kick start the whole system ( know from experience ).

it might be a pain not to have the pc up and running but it does mean saving money on buying something that you didn't need.

TomJerry 10:10 30 Apr 2005

thanks for the advice, I have a shuttle barbone PC, PSU is part of package (case, psu and board). It is rather expensive to buy a replacement psu, so I may just bin the whole thing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone