Nothing beyond initial boot sequence

Storic12 17:17 11 Aug 2010

Rebuilt computer with motherboard from previously spare computer, which had very little use.
Motherboard=Abit NF8-V/NF8-V2, Sempron 3200, 1GB Kingston DDR 400, new PNY GeForce 6200, new Pioneer DVD-RW IDE, new LiteOn DVD ROM SATA, 1 x 120GB & 1 x 60GB IDE hard disks.
Everything ran very smoothly (too smoothly) - installed XP 64bit professional, motherboard drivers,(not sound)graphics 64bit drivers, Nero essentials (came with Pioneer)and rebooted.
Windows asked for and I installed sound drivers. Rebooted.
Now the machine refuses to boot further than the initial boot sequence - acknowledges hard disks, DVD drives, memory etc. All necessary power cables are attached - have checked for loose connections - but still nothing.
Could it be the PSU? Would appreciate some help, please.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:54 11 Aug 2010

Tried F8?

Can you get to safemode or last good config menu?

woodchip 18:06 11 Aug 2010

It's def Windows prob

Storic12 21:06 11 Aug 2010

Fruitba/\0\/: I cant' get into Windows at all. All I get is a blank screen after the initial boot sequence, and the hard drive doesn't even attempt to boot up.

Woodchip: I don't think it IS a Windows problem, but you may be right. I have a horrible feeling this might be the main power connector on the motherboard.

Anyway, thanks to both of you - am trying a third PSU and will let you know what happens.

woodchip 21:28 11 Aug 2010

Nero essentials (came with Pioneer)and rebooted.
Windows asked for and I installed sound drivers. Rebooted.. This why I think it could be a Windows Problem. Try holding the Shift key down after pressing go button, to see how far it loads

Storic12 22:57 11 Aug 2010

I have just tried a 600W PSU - 24pin ATX and now the computer refuses to boot at all and the LED light on the motherboard is flashing. Presumably this means there is an intermittent power supply to the motherboard?
Woodchip - I will put the original PSU back in the machine and try your suggestion. Meanwhile, the upstairs windows are remaining firmly closed - it is too tempting! :-)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:34 12 Aug 2010

Disconnect all Drives (HDD and CD/DVD) and see if it will boot to an error message.

If so connect drives one at a time starting with HDD and see if it will boot.

onthelimit 15:48 12 Aug 2010

Fruits Bat's suggestion of F8 should be the way to go. Tap the key continually as soon as the machine is switched on. It may be you have a problem with the boot which I referred to click here and which cured two similar problems to yours.

Storic12 21:11 12 Aug 2010

Thanks to all for their help. Tapping F8 doesn't have any effect, but I have managed to boot from the Pioneer DVDRW drive(IDE) which is on the secondary IDE connection and also from the LiteOn DVD ROM drive which is on the first SATA connection.
I changed the ribbon cable on the hard drives from 80pin to 40pin, have installed a new hard drive and have finally come to the conclusion that fault probably lies with the Primary IDE connection.
Booting with the XP CD brings the following error message (blue screen)
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer
MACHINE_CHECK_ EXCEPTION
***STOP: 0x0000009c (0x0000000000000004,0xFFFFF800003F6BC9,0x00000000B2000000,x0000000000070F0F)
I shall attempt to connect the hard drive to the secondary idea and see what happens.
PS Attempting booting from hard drive brings "disk boot failure" error.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:26 12 Aug 2010

click here

Do you have the Nvidia IDE drivers installed? They're known to cause this stop error.
Updated drivers click here

Storic12 23:30 12 Aug 2010

Fruit Bat /\0/\

Thanks for the pointers. :-)

I have reset the Bios default settings and only changed what was necessary.
Have attempted to boot again from the Primary Master hard disk and now get an error message:
"NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart."

If I could only access the hard drive, I could reformat it and re-install XP. Any ideas? Please.
Would a boot floppy from another machine be any good? (Running XP of course.) Trying to repair from the XP CD only comes up with the BSOD.
That window is becoming ever increasingly tempting. :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?