Notepad.exe, where is it?

GazMaz 19:06 26 Aug 2003

I've lost NOTEPAD.EXE, want to re-install it but can't find it, how can I restore it.

This must be easy, please tell me it is, I really don't mind looking like an idiot!!!!

Sam Witch 19:08 26 Aug 2003

Have you 'searched' your drive for it, R/click etc can easily move it without realising

wiznyme 19:08 26 Aug 2003

Are you sure it's lost and not just the shortcut.

Try going to start/ run and typing in notepad then pressing enter.

GazMaz 19:14 26 Aug 2003

No I know it's gone, I got rid of it, yes stupid didn't want to tell everyone up front, no just forgot to say.
Rather than cleaning got rid of it when I found Bugbear had occupied it!

Bugbear gone system clean no NotePad ahhh.

wiznyme 19:42 26 Aug 2003

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 310435

Cabinet files are compressed packages that contain a number of related files. The format of a cabinet file is optimized for maximum compression. Cabinet files on the Windows XP compact disc (CD) contains the actual Windows files.

You can extract individual files from the cabinet files to replace missing or corrupted files. To extract information from a .cab file in Windows XP:
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type msconfig, and then click OK.
Click Expand File.
In the File to restore box, type the name of the file that you want to restore.
In the Restore from box, type the path to the Windows XP .cab file from which you want to restore the file, or click Browse From to locate the Windows XP .cab file.

NOTE: The Windows XP .cab files are stored in the I386 folder on the Windows XP compact disc (CD).
In the Save file in box, type the path to which you want the new file extracted, or click Browse To to locate the folder that you want.
Click Expand.
In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click OK. If you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.

GazMaz 19:57 26 Aug 2003

I really didn't give enough info did I, I'm on WIN98. Could'nt find detail as above through MSCONFIG. Sorry for being a pain!!

R4 20:09 26 Aug 2003

Notepad.exe should be in the main windows directory: you can re-install it from the Win98 CD via the control panel add/remove programs and use windows setup

GazMaz 20:26 26 Aug 2003

Well I went there first but whereever I look I cannot find notepad (I don't want to use wordpad instead as this sometimes changes the format).

Am I going to have to reinstall WINDOWS!!

I'll live without if I have too.

krypt1c 20:30 26 Aug 2003

Found this. click here

GazMaz 20:42 26 Aug 2003

Fantastic, you lot are bloody brilliant, it is, for those interested, and thanks Krypt1c, on the win98 disk assuming CD drive is D:
d:\win98\extract d:\win98\win98_46.cab notepad.exe

Great.

Simple things in life are sometimes, no I won't go there.

Ta.

R4 20:50 26 Aug 2003

Notepad.exe is in the cabinet file win98_48.cab on this CD. It should be the same on the Win98 or Win98 SE CD's ::::

You can extract it to the windows directory using Winzip

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017